Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A very strange accident - N1246G - possibly a pilot mentally incapacitated (or senile) before getting airborne?

I suggest that Silvaire was referring to a very few Radio operators and even fewer FISOs who have a reputation for overstepping the mark and barking out orders which they are not entitled to give.

Yes I think that is true. I’ve often got that… And it isn’t just the UK that’s had that. Lots of reports from Germany.

If he is basing his judgment on operating out of one particular NW London airfield ten years ago, then, fair enough.

I think the “little dictator fiso / a/g” issue is much better these days, probably due to the internet…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have got the opposite in France. When asking a Ground (control) frequency where they would like me to park, the answer was a very Gallic “boof”.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

And it isn’t just the UK that’s had that. Lots of reports from Germany.

We have one of such kind in Croatia (at Zagreb Radar 120.7) but I usually ignore that (after initially bein p…ed of ). Here’s recent conversation when I was descending towards my base airport after canceling IFR, VMC in whole area.

Me: Ready for descent inbound LDVA.
Him: Maintain 7000 ft due to gliders in area up to 7000 ft, expect descent in next 20 NM.
Me: Maintaining 7000 ft.
Me (after a while): Airfield in sight.
Him: Don’t try to descend, I told you to maintain 7.000 ft, don’t fool me.
Me: Who said anything about descending, I’m just reporting field in sight (this is an uncontrolled airport and “field in sight” is regularly reported with asking the permission to leave Radar’s frequency).
Him: I will clear you for descent when you pass glider area.

BTW no glider was in the area at that moment (they left 10 min before I arrived) and I arrived overhead the airport at 5000 ft.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter: Yes I think that is true. I’ve often got that… And it isn’t just the UK that’s had that. Lots of reports from Germany.

Now, that’s interesting. I’ve never encountered ATC guys more helpful than in Germany. Where are these reports, do,you have any examples ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

I’ve never encountered ATC guys more helpful than in Germany.

I agree that German ATC is superb.

However, and I really don’t want to name names, there are some FISOs who are sub-optimal, particularly if you want to fly an IFR approach into “their” airspace. Without actually instructing you to break off the approach and join the visual circuit like everyone else, they certainly manage to get the message across.

And some FISOs are very peremptory on the radio, but that may be language.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Well, if you mean the German „Flugleiter“, they aren’t actually ATC, because they control nothing except the taxiway and apron. There are good ones ant there are idiots.
Peter said ATC, and that’s DFS, and they are outstanding really.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter said ATC

No, read my post again.

Administrator

Right you didn’t say it but I implied it from the topic of the thread. So which part did you mean ? The Flugleiters whose name imply they are directing flights or the professional controllers ? Are the reports about the former or the latter.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 08 Dec 17:26
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Whatever the possible interpretations, I do think that most of the concern expressed in this thread has been about FISOs, A/G operators and Flugleiter types.

If you want bad ATC there are plenty of places to find it, but generally not north of the Pyrenees, and west of the Urals.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The topic is

“A very strange accident – N1246G – possibly a pilot mentally incapacitated (or senile) before getting airborne?”

No mention of “ATC”.

I agree with Timothy above, including the bit about the Pyrenees.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message