Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Deliberate drone attack" shuts down Gatwick airport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Gatwick chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe said: “The police are looking for the operator and that is the way to disable the drone.”
He said police had not wanted to shoot the devices down because of the risk from stray bullets.

Does that make sense?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ridiculous. Doesn’t make any sense.
Contine ops as normal. Imagine the same chaos would ensue each time a large bird is spottet near an airport.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Something else must be going on. I understand they had multiple sightings during the early hours, but still, unless some other information lead them to believe there was an ‘attack’ happening, not just reckless behaviour, the reaction seems overblown.

EHLE, Netherlands

Apparently the drones are not toys, they are “industrial.”

It clearly is an “attack” of some sort, though whether it is evil powers out to disrupt our economy or bored schoolchildren no-one knows yet.

Now that it has been so widely reported, I am sure that there will be copycats all over the world.

Shotguns are fired into the air every minute of every day in almost all countries; I do wonder what they think happens to all those “stray bullets.”

EGKB Biggin Hill

Someone clearly doesn’t understand the difference between a bullet and shot.

They’re also assuming the operator is watching and wants it back.

If they’re aiming to disrupt presumably they would be loaded with a series of waypoints. Set off then the miscreants will make their escape.

Surely a policeman would be aware of this?

Timothy wrote:

Shotguns are fired into the air every minute of every day in almost all countries; I do wonder what they think happens to all those “stray bullets.”

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2017/06/09/stray-bullet-school-boy-athens-greece/

ESME, ESMS

But they wouldn’t be firing bullets, they would be shotgun pellets.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Snoopy wrote:

Ridiculous. Doesn’t make any sense.
Contine ops as normal. Imagine the same chaos would ensue each time a large bird is spottet near an airport.

You can’t control a bird into a critical flight path, can you?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Dimme wrote:

Screen shot 2017 12 28 at 22.37.48
Dimme
^ESM(E|S)$

Shotguns do not fire bullets, nor are they rifled.

Last Edited by Off_Field at 20 Dec 15:15

The whole thing is ludicrous.

Get up next to it in a helicopter, open the door and give it both barrels from a 12-bore.

Surely getting the airport open again comes before trying to track down those responsible.

If they are commercial/industrial drones then the miscreant’s supply of them will be fairly finite.

EGLM & EGTN
147 Posts
Sign in to add your message