Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Deliberate drone attack" shuts down Gatwick airport

I wonder. Who has actually seen these drones, and where? To me this could easily be just a case of “false bomb alarm”. I mean, there may very well be a drone around – somewhere, but one or several others are taking advantage of the situation.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Some rumours (RUMOURS ONLY!) indicate it might be extortion to get a ransom.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Lots of people saw the drones, and filmed them. They are real.

From the Daily Trash (which on this occassion has been way ahead of the BBC in getting the latest; only a minute or two behind FR24 ):

Two ‘drone gang’ suspects are arrested after hunt for ’cyclist in hi-vis jacket who was spotted “frantically” packing up two drones on a lane near Gatwick on Thursday, as airport recovers from chaos

If they are environmentalists, I give them 10/10 for eco credentials

However I am disappointed at Sussex Police who have evidently discovered the Corporate Bullsh1t Generator website (actually there are several now):

Our investigations are still on-going, and our activities at the airport continue to build resilience to detect and mitigate further incursions from drones, by deploying a range of tactics.

I feel more secure right away

Ransoms are probably more doable these days because you can ask the police to attach the bag of money to a drone sitting somewhere… There was such a case many years ago, where the guy was never caught, and the police refused to give details of how he got the money even though it must have been under heavy surveillance. I reckoned at the time he used a model helicopter, with a mod to remotely start it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can”t have been much of a ransom. A million pounds in 20 pound notes weighs around 50 kg.

Biggin Hill

From vague memory it was a few tens of k, which was real money 30 years ago

Of course nowadays you would ask it to be paid in bitcoin.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Of course nowadays you would ask it to be paid in bitcoin.

Precisely.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

in hi-vis jacket

Well, that’s a bit daft of them – complete fail at “how not to be seen”.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

Peter wrote:

in hi-vis jacket

Well, that’s a bit daft of them – complete fail at “how not to be seen”.

Perhaps he just wanted to blend in with the police… ;-))

Administrator

Not sure it is clear the people they have arrested are the drone operators.

Apparently multiple associates said he doesn’t fly drones but large scale RC helicopters. And also, his boss has stated he was at work during a significant portion of the time the drones were flying.

Lydd
Sign in to add your message