Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Life insurance in case you die in a private plane crash

gallois wrote:

(Federation francaise aeronautique) I get a certain amount of life assurance

I’d forgotten about this. I think it’s only valid if flying in an aircraft owned by an aéroclub or FFA member..?

Edit:
I read an American magazine article from (I think) the early 1990s, which said the biggest killer of pilots was heart disease. It said the average pilot is of a certain age, and from a socio-economic background that eats too much, drinks too much, and probably has a stressful job. I don’t know if this is still the case. Of course, heart disease could be the biggest killer across the whole population, and it’s nothing to do with flying.

Last Edited by Capitaine at 09 Jan 10:25
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I apologise for my last post, predictive text is get ting the better of me. Still code breaking can be fun:)

France

It looks fine to me but you have a 2hr edit window.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course, heart disease could be the biggest killer across the whole population, and it’s nothing to do with flying.

That is indeed the case, heart disease is the No. 1 killer across the western world at large.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Snoopy wrote:

Anyone on here that does NOT know anybody that died in a plane crash?

Discussed this some months ago after a lethal accident here (killing both on board). Since I got my PPL in 1992 I know 3 fellow pilots that has been killed in 3 different accidents. All of them belonging to the same clubs as me. There are others that I know about, but do not knew personally. Another guy who has been flying since the dawn of time, could remember at least 10 he knew. When thinking about how few we actually are doing this hobby, it’s a lot of deaths. Do I know 3 that have been killed in 3 different car accidents? can’t say I do.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Interesting. I am also not fond of insurances (a saved up emergency cash fund makes more sense to cover most risks – except for health insurance, automobile liability private liability). In Austria the insurance forms all feature a checkbox for „private flying“.

always learning
LO__, Austria

After being burnt by insurance companies not paying out when I made a claim I decided never ever to deal with those £$%^& again.
I only ever get insurance now where there is a legal obligation or it just damn plain makes sense. IIRC (I used to be a mortgage and pension advisor many years ago) in the case of a real estate mortgage in the UK you are required by law to have life insurance that pays back the lender the total amount owed, but anyway, it makes sense to have that (and its cheap for those amounts) unless your partner is wealthy enough for your passing to not make more than a little financial bump in the road, comparatively speaking.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

If you own a plane, ask your broker to get a life insurance quote including flying. You may be surprised how little extra. And if you have an EASA Class 2, that’s far above the usual medical checks they might ask for.
Travel medical insurance usually excludes flying other than in a commercial airliner. But it’s easy to get cover, and seems no more expensive, maybe even cheaper, if over 70.
I’m not sure about more training being the better safety investment compared to more experience. An hour training is an hour practice in not making decisions.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
 Of course, heart disease could be the biggest killer across the whole population, and it’s nothing to do with flying.

That is indeed the case, heart disease is the No. 1 killer across the western world at large.

Avoiding stress, eating vegetables and fitness avoids heart disease.

Not really relevant to the question if general aviation kills over proportion…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Spot on but this is lost on most people

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message