Banner
Welcome to our forums

Life insurance in case you die in a private plane crash

Maoraigh wrote:

Our funeral plans for 50 to 75 year olds…"

Well, that puts you out of contention !

;-))

Insurers vary.
At 77 I had no problem insuring a Bolkow, including aerobatics, but a cold calling saleswoman today started her spiel with: Our funeral plans for 50 to 75 year olds…"

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@ Capitaine, I have received my insurance details from the FFA this morning. As far as I can see there is no mention that the aircraft flown needs to be a club aircraft to be covered on the insurance in fact it appears that you have don’t have to be a member of a club to join the FFA, but being a member through a club gives additional benefits such as the life coverage extending to aerobatics for instance.
I think the maximum life coverage is 300,000 euros, but yes you do have to be a member of the FFA to get the insurances.
For life insurance it appears they reinsure through the PRU in London.
I would point out that I have not read all the small print in detail yet.

France

Unlike flying, heart disease rarely kills 19 year olds. Or 40 year olds. Or 50 year olds.

I don’t know the figure, but when people are killed by diseases, generally speaking they only lose a few months to a few years of their lives. Essentially we gradually get older and frailer and eventually something or other picks us off when it’s time. If it isn’t pneumonia, it will be a gastrointestinal bleed. And if it isn’t a GI bleed it might be heart failure. And so on. It’s rare to meet anybody elderly who is dying of just one thing. Most of these campaigns to ‘save 5000 lives’ are over-egging things a bit. It’s great if you give antibiotics to a baby and buy it a whole lifetime of healthy life, but it’s far more common to fill a nursing home resident full of antibiotics then see them die in a few weeks or months later. Which isn’t necessarily to say that it was futile or the wrong thing to do – though it can be a cruelty. But ‘lives saved’ aren’t all equal.

Trauma cases are pretty rare, but have a disproportionate effect on mortality and morbidity. If you have a heart attack when you’re 85, you might lose a 5 years of your life and your family will remember you fondly. If you crash a plane when you’re 30, you might lose 5 decades of your life and your kids will never quite get over it. If you end up paraplegic it’s likely to trouble you for a few decades.

Last Edited by kwlf at 09 Jan 23:28

Spot on but this is lost on most people

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
 Of course, heart disease could be the biggest killer across the whole population, and it’s nothing to do with flying.

That is indeed the case, heart disease is the No. 1 killer across the western world at large.

Avoiding stress, eating vegetables and fitness avoids heart disease.

Not really relevant to the question if general aviation kills over proportion…

always learning
LO__, Austria

If you own a plane, ask your broker to get a life insurance quote including flying. You may be surprised how little extra. And if you have an EASA Class 2, that’s far above the usual medical checks they might ask for.
Travel medical insurance usually excludes flying other than in a commercial airliner. But it’s easy to get cover, and seems no more expensive, maybe even cheaper, if over 70.
I’m not sure about more training being the better safety investment compared to more experience. An hour training is an hour practice in not making decisions.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

After being burnt by insurance companies not paying out when I made a claim I decided never ever to deal with those £$%^& again.
I only ever get insurance now where there is a legal obligation or it just damn plain makes sense. IIRC (I used to be a mortgage and pension advisor many years ago) in the case of a real estate mortgage in the UK you are required by law to have life insurance that pays back the lender the total amount owed, but anyway, it makes sense to have that (and its cheap for those amounts) unless your partner is wealthy enough for your passing to not make more than a little financial bump in the road, comparatively speaking.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Interesting. I am also not fond of insurances (a saved up emergency cash fund makes more sense to cover most risks – except for health insurance, automobile liability private liability). In Austria the insurance forms all feature a checkbox for „private flying“.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Anyone on here that does NOT know anybody that died in a plane crash?

Discussed this some months ago after a lethal accident here (killing both on board). Since I got my PPL in 1992 I know 3 fellow pilots that has been killed in 3 different accidents. All of them belonging to the same clubs as me. There are others that I know about, but do not knew personally. Another guy who has been flying since the dawn of time, could remember at least 10 he knew. When thinking about how few we actually are doing this hobby, it’s a lot of deaths. Do I know 3 that have been killed in 3 different car accidents? can’t say I do.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message