Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airplane accident close to San Sebastián - G-OARI

Jon Hunt has produced a very nice tribute (flying) to Simon Moores video. Really seems he was a very nice chap…

Kudos for that video. And kudos to the family for giving their consent so quickly. Real flyers.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jan 19:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

almost nobody in the wider PPL population carries a handheld radio.

Not true. Most of the IR pilots in small aircrafts I know do have a handheld on board. I learned to have one for the start up clearance to avoid powering the battery on for asking for clearance and drain it while waiting for the startup clearence.

On our Piper (it was a fractional ownership) the other pilots had already installed a bnc connector to COM 2 antenna to have a realisble signal on ground or in case of failure during flight in IMC. We have the same now in our Bonanza just for security reasons.

EDDS , Germany

I get the impression alternator failures are rather common. I had two during PPL training in ratty 172s. It’s a good reason to carry a handheld.

Tököl LHTL

Not true. Most of the IR pilots in small aircrafts I know do have a handheld on board.

I agree, and I have one too (and have had one since early in my PPL training when I got a radio failure) but IR pilots are a miniscule portion of the GA community.

the other pilots had already installed a bnc connector to COM 2 antenna

Me too

I get the impression alternator failures are rather common

They are indeed. Hence e.g. this but unfortunately this is not an easy project for most aircraft.

Why they are common is a good Q however. They don’t fail that often in cars. The brushes are supposed to be inspected at the Annual… even at 200hrs/year you will catch them early enough. The belt can (in most types) be inspected at every preflight, but usually isn’t.

Kudos for that video.

Yes; very much so.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The accident report is speculating that the crew neglected the flight preperation. To support this speculation they cite the dfficulties the crew had to find a specific (IFR)-exit point at the FIR-boundary from Portugal to Spain. The investigators imply that it should have been obvious to them with proper planning what waypoint was meant. With due respect to the investigators, this wouldn‘t have been obvious to me neither. It happened quite often to me that ATC requested a waypoint that was not on my flight plan and was not easy to find without further guidance (bearing, distance).

On the other hand they seemed to be using Skydemon which makes finding a waypoint a breeze.

Paul

LSZG

I see VFR into IMC as the cause of accident.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

I see VFR into IMC as the cause of accident.

Agree, that’s pretty obvious. Also really bad luck – on the pics it looks like they would have cleared the mountain ridge if they only had been 50-100 ft higher.

That said, the investigators have a point wrt flight planning. Portugal requires you to enter/exit their airspace at designated waypoints, so you would normally have that in your FPL (I have flown between the two countries several times). They should also have been aware of the adverse conditions at their destination.

I agree the report is – yet again – a case of wild speculations.

And then:

In light of its path and altitudes, the flight does not seem to be consistent with one that was planned beforehand from an operational standpoint. Instead, it has characteristics typical of a flight in which only the route was planned, with this route being followed during the flight possibly on GPS. The altitude is selected during the flight itself on the basis of guaranteeing suitable separation with the terrain.

I just laugh about these desk heroes disqualifying pilots for using GPS for primary navigation…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I just laugh about these desk heroes disqualifying pilots for using GPS for primary navigation…

They were on a VFR flight whilst flying in IFR as they approached the destination. Everyone knows, or should know that San Sebastian is surrounded by mountainous terrain. Nothing more, nothing less classic CFIT. Flew into the hill ridge in dense cloud. That was the witness account.

Nothing wrong with magenta line, but better be sure that you are above the MSA for the sector.These ridge lines certainly can ruin your day. Such a waste of an aeroplane and two pretty experienced guys.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message