Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

US government shutdown: impact on Aviation?

I am currently waiting for a new FAA IR license to be issued/shipped to me in the UK. My temporary expires in about a month time…

After several e-mails were left unanswered and no-one seems to pick up the phone at my chosen FSDO / Airmen Certification Branch I realised that the government shutdown had most likely sent all these inspectors home…

Does anyone from the US read this / have knowledge about what’s going on over there? Is no-one within these “non-critical” departments of the FAA working? Is licensing issue on hold?

If true, presumably this is going to create quite the backlog/chaos….. [flashback to UK CAA summer 2018]

Any info appreciated!

EGSX

I’m in the US, but not quite sure what the situation is. However, there was a statement from the FAA recently that checkrides will go ahead during the shutdown and that aviation-critical services will be maintained. If this extends to the issuance of licenses, I don’t know. Have you checked the FAA website and perhaps also IACRA ? I will be talking to a couple of instructors over the next few days (and a DPE,as it were), will post here if I gain any insight.

Nothing is getting done in the FAA except ATC. Document issuance, STC processing etc has stopped. A checkride should still be ok as the DPE does the issuance of a temp certificate electronically and it doesn’t require FAA intervention.

EGTK Oxford

I’ve sent in a change of registration request to the FAA. They received it just before Christmas. Automated service suggested it was 40 days away, they were working on docs received Nov 8 when I called. It’s a real PITA.

No Hassell :-)
EIBR

TimR wrote:

I am currently waiting for a new FAA IR license to be issued/shipped to me in the UK. My temporary expires in about a month timeā€¦

On their website you can extend your temporary. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/airmen_services/ register and it is there.

Last Edited by JasonC at 11 Jan 01:20
EGTK Oxford
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message