Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Homeless!

A grass strip in Navan is not really feasible for a mooney, 6 months out of the year it will be a bog unless they have done an enormous amount of drainage and reinforcement work, and even with that the mooney with its stiff little gear is just uncomfortable on anything but pavement (i have a mooney j and my last airfield was pavement with a grass taxiway to the hangar – about 350m)
I am facing a similar issue moving to the bordeaux area, nothing available indoors and limited availability outdoors.
I may have to sell unless i can find a hangar.

aidanf123 wrote:

Navan is not really feasible for a mooney, 6 months out of the year it will be a bog

The strip there is on a massive bed of stone, it’s the best-drained strip I know. I’m great mates with the owners, they were at my wedding. The 27 approach over the wires and farm sheds going downhill is probably not something I’d like to be doing in a slippy aeroplane. I wouldn’t bring the SR22 in there. I’ve been in the twin com before they extended it, but would only land uphill and take off back down the hill. Kilrush and Abbeyshrule are better options.

We were doing a job in Clonbulloge today, and my business partner needed to get back to Yorkshire in a hurry. I dropped him to Abbeyshrule as a pickup point rather than risk sticking the Cirrus in the wet grass. You need to exercise caution, judgement and local knowledge with all these strips. Lots of them only work with certain loads/conditions/winds. I’ve operated lots of awkward aeroplanes off grass and learned a bit along the way.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Abbeyshrule is an awful haul from me though. I think if it was there I’d end up using it less than I should. Have emailed Ian about EIKH.

EIMH, Ireland

Once you have nothing to lose, why not go all the way to the boss? Just to make sure this isn’t somebody lower down over-exercising their power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quite a sorry state of affairs in the Dublin area if the only available GA airport will not accept renters for any other reason than being full. Also quite an issue for people that only one airfield is available, so basically that one airfield can do what they want.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Quite a sorry state of affairs in the Dublin area if the only available GA airport will not accept renters for any other reason than being full. Also quite an issue for people that only one airfield is available, so basically that one airfield can do what they want.

GA in Dublin is gone a few directions. All away from the capital. It’s a bit like the old Weston in Newcastle in Co. Wicklow and alot of people fly out of there. Then alot of people went to Athboy. Some to Kilrush. Some to Navan. Abbeyshrule is that little bit too far out, but should really have more movements given the runway it has. Outside the greater Dublin area, there isn’t much money being spent on aviation. Our club does 250hrs a year in their Cessna. A Cessna 150 I used to own did 800hrs a year in 1977.

There’s a bit of context.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

There’s a bit of context.

Thanks. Abbeyshrule looks pretty nice, but is far away I suppose.

I honestly can’t understand what is driving Weston to refuse parking to someone because they want to hold fun fairs or other events. They are an airport, therefore they are infrastructure. Maybe another example why the whole GA airfield situation is so cumbersome in many parts of Europe… privately owned airfields where the owners do not regard themselfs as infrastructure but rather someones private playground.

GA is more and more becoming a rural activity due to the airport situation. The only long time solution is to relocate with it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

To their credit they have decided to let me back in. Grass only for now, so better go shopping for some desiccant :)

EIMH, Ireland

Phew! Better than nothing I suppose. And once you are in, chances for improvement are always there.

When will you be back there? This was quite an extensive maintenance job… maybe worth a thread of its own…

Sign in to add your message