Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maybe time to change from Magnetic to True? (and proposal in Canada)

Modern airliners only use a model like WMM or IGRF to determine directions referenced to a magnetic north datum. All that’s needed is an updated set of Gauss coefficients.

London, United Kingdom

The magnetic pole is now closer to the geographical pole than ever since we measure it, it won’t be a problem for the next few years. But from what I read the magnetic field can completely turn upside down, with the magnetic pole moving to the south pole. This happens every 700.000 years or so on average and is now overdue AFAIK.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

the magnetic field can completely turn upside down, with the magnetic pole moving to the south pole.

The problem is that while its flipping, there can be at the least unpredictable magnetic variation or at the worst zero magnetic field for quite a long time. This can cause massive devastation.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Yea correct Coda. The main problem would be the total lack of a coherent magnetic field during the switch. The field is basically our “deflector shield”, if it is down we’ll be exposed to solar radiation. Navigation will be the least of our worries…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Coda wrote:

This can cause massive devastation.

MedEwok wrote:

The field is basically our “deflector shield”, if it is down we’ll be exposed to solar radiation. Navigation will be the least of our worries…

Look on the bright side….Im sure there is a good movie to be made now…

Mankind could probably do with more genetic diversity

Especially in some places

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The field repolarized some 800.000 years ago and again 41.000 years ago for 440 years. None of those shifts changed the genetic pool dramatically, and the atmosphere is much more important than the magnetic field, which btw will never completely go away. It’s weakened by 10% in the last 150 years and will continue to weaken, local anomalies will increase, but in general the message is:

DON’T PANIC !

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

but in general the message is:
DON’T PANIC !

Right. I always take a towel with me when I fly…

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Can this be used as an excuse for the next LHR infringement?

What if the reversal was to coincide with a US Gov. shutdown? And Brexit?
From Avweb:
"The World Magnetic Model is a joint responsibility of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the British Geological Survey and geophysicists were planning to issue the update Jan. 15, but the U.S. scientists are furloughed. The new model is now tentatively set to be released Jan. 30 but that will depend on whether the shutdown is over by then.

The current model was supposed to be good until 2020 but the magnetic pole moved more than 30 miles last year and that’s enough to throw the readings on everything from smartphones to ships’ navigation systems out of whack."

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message