Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Effects of US Government Shutdown

This thread comments that FAA processing of paperwork is effectively suspended during the US government shutdown, now in its 33rd day, and there will be a huge backlog to catch up with whenever it returns. Delays could start to make the UK CAA look positively brisk

I wondered if there were wider implications for European pilots, either travelling to the US for recreational or flight training, or for N-Reg owners in Europe.

Two areas of most relevance are travelling there and what the FAA will/won’t be doing

- Funding for the Immigration Service is from user fees, so business should continue more or less as before. However while ESTA, Immigration, ATC are all deemed essential services, the backoffice support isn’t.
- The FAA isn’t processing licence applications, so the 61.75 verification letters won’t be issued, FSDO offices won’t issue airman certificates or other admin. Perhaps if you already have a verification letter, you could get a suitable DPE to issue your first 61.75 airman certificate (or additional rating), but otherwise would have to wait.

This NBAA article is more explicit.

While numerous FAA functions have ceased during the shutdown, the following suspended activities are likely of most interest to NBAA members.
  • Issuance of airmen certificates
  • FAA issuance of ferry or special flight permits (Certain DARs might still be able to issue permits)
  • FAA knowledge tests (i.e. written exams) can be taken, but results will be delayed until the government reopens
  • Renewal of training center evaluator/simulator qualifications
  • Adding or modifying aircraft and personnel listed on OpSpecs of a commercial operator
  • Other FSDO functions such as seeking new letters of authorization or modifying current authorizations
  • Approval of exemptions for unmanned aerial systems operations
  • Aviation rulemaking
  • Development, operational testing, and evaluation of NextGen technologies
  • Most administrative support functions not required for support of life and safety

So going for a first flying holiday/hour building trip might be difficult if you don’t already have an FAA Airman certificate (or at least a verification letter). Those wanting to train formally, and needing a student visa, might be delayed. Use of existing facilities should be OK. Special trips, eg needing ferry permits, likely to be difficult at best. Any skill test/checkride or other activity requiring an FAA staff examiner would be deferred but independent DPEs should be able to conduct regular checkrides.

For N-Reg owners in Europe, I guess the main issue would be related to maintenance upgrades that require special approval. The registration function seem to be working still, so buying and selling should be possible.

Have I misrepresented/missed anything?

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Definitely no-one from the “airmen certificates” branch is around. They haven’t answered e-mails / calls. More in this thread.

EGSX
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message