Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Am I insane? Anonymous Private Aircraft Owner Income Survey

jvdo wrote:

The prices of high end ultralights have gone up so much in the past years you could sell it after 10 years for the same price.

I didn’t have opportunity to respond to this earlier, and don’t know the intended definition of “high end ultralight” but it does not really match my observation. I see LSA aircraft now for sale at highly depreciated prices, and dropping. For example this Tecnam P2002 with 459 hrs total time for Euro 52K. I’ve flown a P2002 and its nice to fly, basic plane. At Euro 52K I think it starts to become competitive with certified and Experimental aircraft in the marketplace, at the expense of the original owner who spent a great deal in depreciation.

A UK LAA Permit can cost a few hundred pounds to renew if there’s no major problems found.
Unfashionable aircraft are cheap – a Jodel DR1050 for example. And there’s no depreciation. My £1600 share 29 years ago is now worth £2000+. But hangarage is essential. I got 25 good years use, 2 poor years, and 2 useless years – hoping to have it flying again soon.
The DR1050 has 110+ kts cruise, and good load carrying. And night and IMC legal are possible if suitably equipped.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

For example this Tecnam P2002 with 459 hrs total time for Euro 52K

A 2009 P2002 probably cost 60k also in 2009, brand new.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In 2010 I looked at buying a P2002, after flying one and liking it – they were $145K, as per this link. The owner of the currently advertised plane has lost around $97K in depreciation (taking into account ~8% sales tax) plus $1700 per year in property tax (at 1.2%). That equates to a $941 per month expense for 10 years.

I bought a $35K plane instead, $2K sales tax and the local tax property people assess it at $21K. Assuming its still worth what I paid (which is hard to judge) my equivalent cost has been $37 per month

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jan 23:23

Maybe just buying a (pretend to be 4 seat) Rallye for 15k, visiting all the small austrian airfields in severe vmc wx and wearing a chute on my back is what I should do ;).

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think the P2002 is not a microlight at all. It’s a certified VLA AFAIK, more like a modern, low wing C-152, made for training. A “high end” microlight is more like this:

And countless other composite, 912is/915 etc etc. Almost all cost less than what I imagine the price of a new P2002 is today based on that 2010 price. This doesn’t mean they depreciate less though , but they are considerably cheaper to maintain, and fly better/faster.

On the other hand, there are lots of planes like this, costing around 50-70k brand new:

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You don’t find a lot of microlights for 50 – 70 K euro brand new today, I’d say no one for 50K and very few for 70K
I mean , a flyable microlight, with radio , GPS, maybe a txp , something more than anemometer and tachometer.
And the composite ones are the more expensive , from 100K to way more .
A plene is what the papers says it is , so a P2002 is different from a P2002JF , at least in running cost.

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

You don’t find a lot of microlights for 50 – 70 K euro brand new today, I’d say no one for 50K and very few for 70K

Depends what you mean by “a lot”. 3-4 different planes in the same price category is a lot in GA terms. Considerable more in the 100k+ category I agree. Also a lot of these are sold as prefabbed kits for considerably less.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Snoopy’s plans are for a 4-seater. Then again, based on what’s available in the market one’s mission profile may be flexible

A new UL, at the top end (see LeSving’s pics of the Blackshape and the WT9 above) you’ll be paying 170-220 k, all options, incl VAT.
The upcoming TL-Stream is also 220k+.

UL’s depreciate quite a bit in the first few years though, which provides an opportunity for those who are interested in buying used. There is an emerging used market. Plus, like LeSving says, there is a kit option for several of them, Bristell for example.

Prices will probably not go down, now that the 600kg MTOM is spreading around Europe.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Here in Italy if someone want to build a microlight 99% choose an Asso ones, so wood which means long building time but a fine looking and performance aircraft .
Microlight market is swiftly resembling the GA one . Very few very expensive new planes and a lot of used ones . It was not this way till 10 years ago .
I concur that you can fly a microlight with a reasonable budget ( little south of 10K ) and reasonable limitations ( only 2 seats and VFR )

Pegaso airstrip, Italy
Sign in to add your message