Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electronic ignition - huge benefits claimed

There is less potential for arcing in non-turbocharged engines at altitude as the internal cylinder pressure is less than in a turbocharged engine.

A “big” magneto is one that is physically big enough for the electrodes inside to be far apart and render arcing more diffcult.

The D3000 should be problem free at FL250 and beyond. Mechanical magnetos in 2017 are as wrong as mixture knobs and leaded fuel but sadly still a reality.

I fly a turbo charged high compression ratio (1:8.5) engine with the D3000 and it has no problem producing a strong enough spark at any altitude every tried (FL240 max so far).

The arcing effect happens when it is easier for the charge to jump over inside the mag than at the spark plug. Therefore one way to make the magneto safe under adverse conditions is to make it very hard to arc internally by having large structures with strong insulation.

Last Edited by achimha at 09 Aug 16:39

This is really interesting. AFAIK the TB21 has the same D3000 single shaft dual mag as the TB20. It goes to FL250, without mag pressurisation. Clearly the D3000 has enough clearance inside to not arc. That is at least a good reason for choosing the D3000…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a lot of theory and opinion in the 57 posts above but I think I’m going to base my decision to buy ( or not ) one of these units on how it performs in service.

The British based aviation charity Aerobility have fitted this EI to their PA28 aircraft and will no doubt build a picture of the in service attributes ( or problems ) in a far more controlled environment than private owners can do.

I will need to wait for EASA direct certification as my aircraft does not have an FAA type certificate ( rather than based on an FAA STC ) so I have the luxury of letting real time in service data obtained in a controlled environment to make my decision on the Perchace of this EI system.

plans are in place to resolve this issue.

Those plans have been in place since for ever; see above.

Administrator

To be fair to the manufacturer the EASA certification for non FAA aircraft six cylinder aircraft is planed to be late this year with four cylinder engined aircraft to follow shortly after.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 01 Oct 17:54

Is this for Robins? There are very few types which have an EASA TC but not an FAA TC. Robin STCs are legendary for… not reaching critical mass for funding.

Administrator

My aim is to see an STC for the Robin DR400 series as it would suit my mission profile, unfortunately very few Robin owners share my four hour + 6 to 8000 ft cruise requirement.

Surefly electronic ignition approved

The have an STC for the engines, I wonder how much more of a leap is it to get an approval for the airframes – there is finally some competition for electroair in this space

https://www.surefly.aero/

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/47ea5efccb9d6c7486258340004dc5e6/$FILE/SE04349CH_AML.pdf

local copy

It is an interesting product.

I see they life limit it to the engine TBO:

The result is zero maintenance, zero overhauls, no rebuilds, and no maintenance costs whatsoever! Nothing to wear. Nothing to maintain. Run it to engine TBO or 2,000 TBO – whichever is greater.

Sounds like you need to install an extra CB for the power to it

which is obviously why the other magneto has to stay in place, otherwise loss of electrics would stop the engine. This in turn makes me think that this will probably never get certified, because with a single shaft they cannot possibly have a backup magneto.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message