Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boeing acquires Foreflight

Oh well, that’s that then. Look what happened to Jeppesen.

EGKB Biggin Hill

-

I wonder what the synergy is. Or perhaps Boeing just wanted to control a vital resource, and the takeover cost was peanuts to them.

Jepp is a different scenario. They own the terminal chart business, and always will because it is so hard for someone else to break in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah, I’m always skeptical with big companies buying innovative companies like FF. It all depends on if they try to force their “culture” down. I’ve seen this happen multiple times in other big companies.

Switzerland

Peter wrote:

They own the terminal chart business, and always will because it is so hard for someone else to break in.

LIDO (Lufthansa) is widely used now as well.

PepperJo wrote:

Yeah, I’m always skeptical with big companies buying innovative companies like FF. It all depends on if they try to force their “culture” down. I’ve seen this happen multiple times in other big companies.

I’d say that is good news for companies like the one Foreflight (still is) used to until the acquisition by Boeing ;). Easier to disrupt and think independent when you’re, well yes, independent.

has a Beagle...
LOWG Graz Austria

Peter wrote:

Jepp is a different scenario. They own the terminal chart business, and always will because it is so hard for someone else to break in.

Peter, sorry for a silly question, but why can’t we use the xAA-released procedure charts?
For example, Eurocontrol publishes all SIDs/STARs/IAPs for European airports.
What am I missing?

A while back during a discussion on the type, I was reminded that the Bölkow Junior (which started life as a US homebuilt) now has a TC controlled by Airbus. So if a Bölkow Junior pilot uses Foreflight, he is now flying an Airbus with Boeing avionics

This kind of development is exactly why I chose to adopt ADS-B In (traffic and weather) using portables, thereby having the most flexibility possible. If/when a better widget comes along, everything except a 1 inch RAM ball on my panel can be thrown out and replaced at minimum cost. I hope Boeing knows that… Foreflight’s customer base represents a lot of existing business, but with a huge rabble of very flexible, easily offended and hard to manipulate pilots… who will switch to an emerging competitor in a heart beat if the mood strikes them

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Mar 20:25

arj1 wrote:

Peter, sorry for a silly question, but why can’t we use the xAA-released procedure charts?
For example, Eurocontrol publishes all SIDs/STARs/IAPs for European airports.
What am I missing?

Of course we can, but they’re really designed for reference and not for cockpit use. E.g. approach minima are typically not published. Also, the exact format etc. differs between countries. With Jeppesen you get a standardised format and precomputed minima. That’s actually worth a lot.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Timothy wrote:

Look what happened to Jeppesen.

What happened to Jeppesen?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What happened to Jeppesen?

After the Boeing takeover they lost all interest in supporting light GA.

EGKB Biggin Hill
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top