Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boeing B737-8 and -9 grounding

It does seem curious that the Max can have the same type ratings as a 737-200 – they seem to be very different aircraft (except the ancient B707 fuselage shape).

Andreas IOM

There is a lot of precedent for that sort of thing. For example the various CJs up to CJ4 are under the same TR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hmm, so one of the main reasons why state of the art airliners crash is the same as for homebuilt experimental aircraft. The pilots don’t understand the “systems” and/or are not well known with the performance characteristics.

The cause of the Ethiopian accident could be something else though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

UK CAA just issued a “precautionary measure” to ground all B737Max that are on the G-reg (there are 8)
I don’t think they had much evidences to support that “executive decision”?

On pilot error due to unfamiliar aircraft, I don’t think there are that many pilots who have 1000h on the type?

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Mar 14:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Quite a few European and other countries have followed. I wonder why EASA are dragging their feet… maybe because they fear retribution by the FAA on Airbus in the case of cases?

Here politics should stop. This type should be grounded world wide and a special airworthiness review conducted with the new software by international oversight, not just the FAA. National interests are way too involved in this (as in other) case for this to be left to the regulator of the country which depends on the builder of this airframe. Until then, this system should be deactivated totally or a total grounding considered.

Does the FAA really want to risk another Comet chain of events? Or for that matter the rudder issues with the 737 where grounding was also not done resulting in a couple of crashes rather than one or two before they found out what is going on?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

EASA has now followed the movement and issued an AD

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Yes and they have done so for both the 737-8 and 9 Max.

Quite a few cancellations will follow tonight. It’s valid from 19 UTC, that is it becomes valid in 40 minutes.

From another forum:

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 12 Mar 18:28
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

That was pretty well understood after the Lionair crash already. Ethiopan is a reputable operator with (so far) excellent safety record. Should they really not have re-trained their pilots after the Lionair accident, I think in accordance with guidance from Boeing?

Has Ethiopian just been lucky so far and really have such deficiencies in their training department? Or is there another tilt to this failure mode?

EuroFlyer wrote:

Also, the older 737’s have a stab brake, which means if you pull the yoke in the opposite direction that the stab is moving, it will lock the trim wheel. That brake feature was taken off of the max, so the pilot can be pulling (your natural reaction) the yoke due to the pitch down trim and the stab will keep moving against you.

Bloody hell. Well, I suppose those who made the decision to ground it had some people telling them stuff like this. But the more I read I think this grounding is more than justified. Bucket of worms I’d say. I wonder if Boeing survives this in its current form…

Sign in to add your message