Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boeing B737-8 and -9 grounding

I think it describe the 73MAX as a monster of an airplane is rather exaggerating the situation, the MCAS system requires a big rethink in its authority and failure modes but essentially its a much nicer aircraft to fly than the -800.

As always there are doubting voices but I can remember such voices telling us after the A320 crash at Habshiem that fly by wire would be banned by the certification authorities.

Boeing will get this 73MAX problem fixed and my guess is most of us posting on this forum will be drawing out pensions before it is withdrawn from service with a long and safe flying record.

Here’s an interesting (and scary) article on the topic in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/business/boeing-737-max-crash.html?searchResultPosition=1

Today is some new issue with leading edge slats badly made by a subcontractor. It would probably be an AD if the planes were not already grounded.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From the article……

because of the continuing investigations, said that after the first crash, they were stunned to discover MCAS relied on a single sensor.

“That’s nuts,” said an engineer who helped design MCAS.

“I’m shocked,” said a safety analyst who scrutinized it.

“To me, it seems like somebody didn’t understand what they were doing,” said an engineer who assessed the system’s sensors

So its either media fake news, sensationalism, or criminal. Take your pick…

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 03 Jun 17:50
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

There were some documentaries out a few years ago about Boeing shifting from a company where engineers lead the way to a company where marketing first sold the planes and the engineers were then told what to deliver, all undermined by yet another max profit max shareholder value mantra. Alongside this came the move to Chicago for tax reasons and the outsourcing of production to „right to work“ states (union busting).

In the end, this mcas debacle is traceable to saving costs imo.

always learning
LO__, Austria

172 Driver

The slat problem would have just been another AD if Boeing was operating normally , the thing in the press is just poor journalism and the equivalent of kicking a guy when he is down.

Half of the newspaper links people post don’t work (or one sees just a little bit) because they are behind a paywall…

Which is one reason why the guardian is popular, despite its left wing agenda

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

left wing

left of centre

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message