Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Duty/VAT when importing parts from the USA, and the requirement for 8130-3 or EASA-1 forms to get the duty relief

Peter wrote:

Aircraftspruce have also been running a “scam” whereby they charge a load extra for the 8130-3. I have no idea how they can generate it if they don’t get one from the vendor.

I recently asked a supplier of used avionics in the US about getting a Form 1 with a used box, rather than a 8130-3. They said they would ask a company in Europe that they collaborated with to inspect the box and issue the Form 1. That would add a noticeable but not outrageous cost. I assume that if there already is a 8130-3 then issuing a Form 1 is a simple job.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This one?

Then there is this very old concession which only a few firms got.

I assume that if there already is a 8130-3 then issuing a Form 1 is a simple job.

I don’t know but you still need to be EASA 145 to do it. Someone will know…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This one?

I really don’t know what company would issue the Form 1, but the situation in the thread you linked to is different. In my case there already is a proper 8130-3 issued by a US maintenance organisation.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Feb 19:08

Peter wrote:

Do you mean 8130-3?

You need to be an FAA 145 Repair Station to issue this. Same as an EASA 145 to issue an EASA-1.

If you buy an EDM900 new it will come with an 8130-3, because JPI is a 145 company.

The problem is if you buy a used one.

Aircraftspruce have also been running a “scam” whereby they charge a load extra for the 8130-3. I have no idea how they can generate it if they don’t get one from the vendor.

Yes, my bad, I did mean 8130-3. So no duty free used parts without going through a repair station? That’s a pity.

JPI want $125 for a 8130 and a Permission Letter local copy which I politely declined, with the plane being N-reg. So I guess Spruce and other shops just pass the cost on. I recalled it being $200, so I guess it’d have been worth it. Still, cheap lesson as far as plane stuff goes.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

JPI – a manufacturer – not including an 8130-3 is outrageous.

Administrator

Can anyone point me to what an 8130-3 looks like? My mechanics want an 8130 which I give them when supplying parts.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Can anyone point me to what an 8130-3 looks like?

A 30 second google search…

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can anyone point me to what an 8130-3 looks like?
A 30 second google search…

Thanks for linking.

I have dozens of those and nobody has charged me a cent for them. I just assumed when I read the posts, that it was something very special which had to be paid for in order to obtain them for the plane’s logbook record and Customs.

KHTO, LHTL

Indeed; it is very rare for any “proper avionics product” or any major other product e.g. a fuel servo to come without one. Buying new from a US distributor or overhauler, I have never not got one. Only Aircraft Spruce does this IME and why they do it is a mystery.

Administrator

Someone else recently asked me a Q about import duty on aircraft and aircraft parts and I gave him the standard answer which I have heard many times: parts are duty free, and aircraft below 8000kg are also.

Then he started digging and found no evidence to support this!

There appear to be different tariff numbers for aircraft below 2000kg and below 15000kg, but no duty seems payable below 15000kg. Can anyone confirm this?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message