Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Duty/VAT when importing parts from the USA, and the requirement for 8130-3 or EASA-1 forms to get the duty relief

I think you’ll find that Airframes Alaska are pretty good at international shipping. Their stuff comes quickly, well packaged, and with correct customs paperwork. Nice folks to deal with.

Nice tyres too, and if you add their extended gear legs, no more bumping your head on the inboard flap hinge.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

EU Import duty for an overhauled engine from the USA ?

Context…
Seneca engine pulled from the aircraft has been inspected and requires repair or overhaul. I have quotes from a UK shop for the work.

Im doing due diligence and comparison with an overhaul from the US. Ive got (or am getting) a quote for a ‘Factory’ overhaul and factory new from Continental (actually ‘Airpower’ who continental devolve that to) and also from a third party US ‘field’ overhaul engine shop. (The Factory quote allows for 19K USD core value for the engine I have).

Question…
Obviously VAT will be payable on the value of what I bring into the EU/UK but does anyone know (even approximately!!) what rate of duty the incoming engine will attract?

Any other observations or experience or comment on the most efficient Import / export choreography of the old engine and the incoming overhauled unit?

(for example – if the two are not connected, I imagine attracting duty on a whole new engine with no relief on the one I send away (or possibly even US duty on it going back to the US!) whereas If I am sending an engine to be worked on in the US before it is returned to me I may pay duty on the value of the work done/parts used on my engine – or something like that. Or perhaps it makes no real difference – and I should go for the most time efficient sequence!

I understand professional advice is needed and any replies here have no legal standing etc etc (usual caveats) but if anyone has recent experience to share on the process – it would be great to hear it.

I had a root around the UK HMRC website but wow its impenetrable – Im just trying to get ballpark figures on which to make a cost informed choice!

Thanks in advance!

EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Perhaps I should have rooted around the forum first (rather than HMRC website) – no duty on aircraft parts but VAT will be payable with some caveat of how to label the shipment so its clear what it is.

Is that the quickest instance of a self answered forum post?

Still any thoughts appreciated!

j

Last Edited by Justin at 11 Nov 09:15
EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

If you want to send me a PM, I’ll give you details of a guy I use in Dublin who can handle that shipment. He will minimise the pain.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

no duty on aircraft parts but VAT will be payable with some caveat of how to label the shipment so its clear what it is.

That is exactly correct.

And yes the biggest problem is getting US firms to state AIRCRAFT PARTS on the documentation. They might put it on the package but if it isn’t on the documents that’s no good because the customs people don’t look at the package.

Any other observations or experience or comment on the most efficient Import / export choreography of the old engine and the incoming overhauled unit?

If the incoming goes via the same shipper as the outgoing, you should be able to talk to them and make sure the VAT gets offset appropriately. If you use different shippers then it gets really complicated.

A search for e.g.

shipping an engine

digs out some useful threads on the details.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No customs duty, under commodity code “8803 30 00 10” (for use on civil aircraft) or “8803 30 00 20” (intended to be fitted in aircraft imported duty free or built within the Community). They may require some organisation / prior agreement from customs.

Last Edited by lionel at 11 Nov 12:52
ELLX

Hmmm, could I buy an aircraft in the US, turn it into several “parts” – wings, engine, fuselage, and get them all sent here duty free then reassemble?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Hmmm, could I buy an aircraft in the US, turn it into several “parts” – wings, engine, fuselage, and get them all sent here duty free then reassemble?

What would be the point as whole aircraft is also duty free (for example code 8802 2000 10 below 2 tons). Duty is not the problem, neither for parts nor for the whole aircraft. Import VAT is the elephant in the room.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Furthermore, nowadays when importing a whole aircraft, one has only to show an ICAO certificate of registration (or was it airworthiness?) to prove it qualifies for the zero rate. Whereas, I presume, the procedure for spare parts may be more convoluted.

ELLX

Buckerfan wrote:

All that effort for less than 2-3% of the aircraft value???

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message