Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Musing on todays flying

Today I indulged myself with a flight in the Cub. Ended up in the circuit doing touch and goes. I also ended up doing a go around. Something I have not done in ages. The reason for the go around was another aircraft occupying the runway. I was flying from an AG airfield today. I was downwind about to turn base when the aircraft in question called to say he was departing. Next he calls that he is at the threshold. Ok, I call base turning final. Still he sits. I call final. Still he sits. I wonder if he is a student and is getting patter from instructor. I call short final. Still he sits. So I go around. AG then hops on the blower telling said pilot that at an AG you don't need a clearance for take off or words to that effect. Pilot in questions says he was waiting for the skydivers to land. AG says, or words to that effect, that is no reason to block a runway. So I got to thinking (dangerous for me), is it a male thing that he could only think of one thing at a time - skydivers? Had he become so focused on them that he had blocked out everyone else's RT and did not appreciate what else was happening around him. I like to think not. Scary if we share the skies with that mind set. Do some people really lack common sense to that degree, that if he was that unhappy with the skydivers he did not think to move off the runway or is it that motorway mentality, its my lane, you cant over take me or in this case, "I have called I am on the threshold so to bloody hell with everyone one else". OR is it just a simple heat blip in his circuitry. I hear the Ipad over heats and shuts down when it gets hot so why not some brain types. Hahahaha.

Just musing on a very hot summers evening and to lazy to do summit else. :-)

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

My pet hate is poor or sometimes no radio calls at all. On the last 2 occasions when I have spoken politely and sensibly to the 2 people on board ity turned out one was the CFI at the airfield I was visiting. Why for good ness sake?

UK, United Kingdom

Where do the skydivers land? Presumably off the runway, but close by? Is there a unofficial but accepted procedure for what to do when they have been dropped out of an aircraft?

I am not sure of the answer. The ideal situation is you only line up when you are mentally committed (i.e. you have done all your checks, your satisfied everything is ready to go and you know what your initial heading will be), and you have visually or orally checked there is no aircraft on short finals. You line up and you go.

You don't sit there for 5 minutes. Or if you do, and you think you're going to be there for a while, at least make a radio call with an explanation and maybe consider taxying off and waiting back at the threshold and letting someone in the circuit land. I guess this situation depends on whether he/she knew about the skydivers before lining up, whether he/she was with a instructor talking away and stopping them rolling, or unaware of a procedure on how to deal with skydivers about to land, or a solo student who was trying to be safe, but potentially being dangerous.

Nobody should "occupy" a runway. If there is a departure delay, in a non ATC scenario, then one needs to get off the runway.

Obviously if there is just one entrance to the runway and others blocked it, there isn't anything you can do...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have no problem with the pilot considering the safety issues re skydivers etc. That is his call and I would never pass comment on another pilots safety call. What frustrated everyone was the fact that he was blocking an active runway with no indication of what his next intentions were. Consider the time he sat there. From me turning base to me on climb out in a Cub that does not travel very fast. Hehehe. When he heard me, assuming he did hear my calls, that should have been the trigger to do something. Take off or vacate runway. I am in no way questioning the skydiver/safety aspect. I am questioning the lack of airmanship or whatever you want to call it by blocking the runway. We initially thought he was waiting for a take off clearance - wont be the first time that has happened at an AG - but will never know what the real thinking was. There are clear procedures at this airfield for the operation of planes, helicopters and skydivers all at the same time, and all were operating at the same time today. :-) Anyhow, it all adds to the intrigue of human factors and gets us nattering away on forums. Hahaha.

Shoreham

Just seen your post Peter. No, no issue of not been able to vacate runway. Plenty of room. :-)

Shoreham

My pet hate is poor or sometimes no radio calls at all

Poor R/T is a nuisance indeed.

No R/T at all is perfectly possible, and none to blame, from planes with either no radio fitted or - far worse, because it may go unnoticed - a defective radio. And don't forget the poor blighter who tuned to an incorrect frequency - far less do I want you to say/think it cannot or will never happen to you.

Never ever NEVER think "I hear nobody so the circuit is free for me"

OTOH the chap who lined up then froze has no excuse! One should not line up (unless instructed by a tower with appropriate authority i.e. at a controlled field) if one is not sure take-off will follow immediately. Once lined up, either take off or vacate.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Personally, after about your third position call I would have spoken directly too him and asked him what he was doing....if he said waiting I would have told him to get off the runway and wait....i don't believe there is any regulation preventing aircraft to aircraft communication for the purposes of air coordination...even if there is an A/G radio operator....clearly not allowed at a controlled airport...unless in imminent danger I suppose...but this is clearly in Class G

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ, I agree with you. I should have spoken directly to him. I will be more inclined to do so if it ever happens again. :-)

Shoreham

On a recent visit to Perth (Scotland) an aircraft preceded us to the hold for the runway in use and then it seems started to do all his checks instead of just the hold checks. No way past him I am sorry to say and as we were the only 2 aircraft departing I was a bit disappointed that the tower did not intervene when we waited a full 12 minutes after we called "ready for departure". The said aircraft eventually backtracked to line up and then still performed more checks at the departure point. What are these people thinking about?

UK, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message