Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the N-reg community in Europe going to just disappear?

I’ve had the Special Branch come out a couple of times (both times, East Yorkshire, was the same officer both times and she gave us a lift to where we were going, saving us having to find a taxi!)

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

(both times, East Yorkshire, was the same officer both times and she gave us a lift to where we were going, saving us having to find a taxi!)

So hard core!!!!!!

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I get ramp checked I would say once or twice a year so say every 150-300 hours. Mostly Germany but that is where I tend to fly to.

I expect UK ramp checks will increase in number significantly for light GA in the UK as a result of the Sala crash from a base of almost zero.

EGTK Oxford

Unfortunately this won’t achieve anything and anyone in the regulatory system who has aviation knowledge will know that.

I spent 1.5hrs on the phone with BBC Wales explaining to them “the way aviation works”. They had already spoken to a bunch of people who slagged off the N-reg scene – the usual axe grinders. I think we need to be careful what we write here because the owner/operator of the plane is prob99 not dead, but I think it is fair to say that the Sala job disaster was nothing to do with it being N-reg. Whatever happened would have been doable absolutely equally well in a G-reg, F-reg or whatever. Nothing stops you crashing a plane if for whatever reason you can’t fly it. Any interaction between the details of the arrangement and FAA regs will merely affect the insurance payout, or the lack of, and therefore whose estate gets stripped, Graham Hill-style. No airport police will stop a departure of a non IR pilot into OVC015 (with the flight plan saying say 5000ft) or whatever. And most of them won’t be able to read the license to establish a lack of the NQ.

I’ve been checked quite a few times but never the aircraft documents. But then I would not land (anymore) at Biarritz which is famous for this, due to the airport police school there.

IPT in UK is 12% for UK reg aircraft

It used to be 5%. When did that change?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

They had already spoken to a bunch of people who slagged off the N-reg scene – the usual axe grinders

It’s common sense. N-reg is a way to save money, and a rather complicated one. The natural thought is what else is the person willing to do to save a few pennies?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I was one ramp-checked in Germany and twice in Croatia – on average every 500 hours, EU-reg. I don’t think that’s too often.

Regarding original topic I don’t understand why people are so troubled with what other people do and why. However, it would be very interesting to know if it’s legally allowed to permanently keep EU-reg aircraft in USA.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

LeSving wrote:

N-reg is a way to save money, and a rather complicated one.

I will leave this one (the jibe) alone, but am intrigued as to what you refer? What complications exactly?

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Peter wrote:

how I can dodge tax with my plane

I meant it as people’s reactions

But as you asked, I would recommend a Dutch Sandwich followed by a Double Whiskey. It must be ok if Amazon and Google are doing it, right..?

Last Edited by Capitaine at 15 Apr 10:55
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

It’s common sense. N-reg is a way to save money, and a rather complicated one. The natural thought is what else is the person willing to do to save a few pennies?

I didn’t think we allowed trolls on EuroGA..?

The corollary of this, of course, being that people on the EU-reg are incompetents with very little knowledge about aircraft, and therefore need to have their entire flying lives controlled by a maintenance organisation.

My interpretation is about as sensible as yours.

Kent, UK

Emir wrote:

However, it would be very interesting to know if it’s legally allowed to permanently keep EU-reg aircraft in USA.

I seem to remember reading on the Flyer Forum that taking an EASA Reg aeroplane into the USA is made extremely difficult wrt Customs/TSA/Flightplans etc.

Sign in to add your message