Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What airplane deal are you not snapping up?

WilliamF wrote:

and she says restaurants are closing down etc … it’s like they can all see it coming.

Or reacting to a recession that’s not happened yet is making it a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Andreas IOM

Or reacting to a recession that’s not happened yet is making it a self-fulfilling prophecy

Tou are right. But the behaviour of financial markets can mostly (completely?) be explained by emotional and irrational behaviour like this.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

https://afors.com/aircraftView/47522

This is a steal. I sold parts off a Rallye for 2x that last week. If I had some free time I would buy it.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Should be possible to get a serviceable O-200 somewhere for four figures…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Should be possible to get a serviceable O-200 somewhere for four figures…

Absolutely. And what they were quoted for the overhaul of a O-200 is ridiculously high. I got a O360 overhauled for a good 10 k less so they should really ask around before throwing the plane away.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The main problem with the Rallye is a French aircraft in Europe with an American engine. In the US overhauling the engine would be a ho, hum sort of thing. It would get done, likely via field overhaul, at a small fraction of the cost. However not many people in the US would want the airframe given the reverse situation with parts and service for the airframe in the US.

That said, I think somebody in England who wants to infiltrate (or has already infiltrated) some maintenance organization could do the same with the very simple O-200, i.e do in the field whatever’s actually necessary to make the very simple engine serviceable, and push the paper through the mill at low cost. It’s mainly at the ‘consumer level’ that ridiculous situations like this occur.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Oct 15:17

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=48163 N172GG

This 1959 N-Reg 180hp CS Prop Cessna 172 would be snapped up in short order in America. It’s a great STOL bargain. I couldn’t land home with it as my business partner prefers mainstream more modern stuff. Looks like a gift to me, if the airframe checks out.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

A fastback with an O-360 and CS prop is as good it gets for a 172:..

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Dec 19:24

In fact, the average GA pilot or club or school in Europe does not want these vintage 172s. They want them as „modern“ as possible, which usually means 1976 or newer. These fetch a premium.

Proper yoke, squared-off instrument panels. electric flaps, airspeed indicator in knots and an exterior hardly discernable from the current models.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That sure makes a great opportunity for a better informed buyer who values performance and handling – both of which will be better for a more powerful, more aerodynamic O-360 equipped CS prop straight tail fastback. It also looks more like a plane and less like a car, if you care.

Notwithstanding it being a rather remarkable two tone green (!) the original paint scheme on this one is nice relative to the anodyne refrigerator white with cheap stuck-on curlies stuff they’ve been doing recently. The cowling is interesting and makes me wonder whether it actually started life as a 175. I’d have to study it closer to make a better educated guess. 175s are regardless more often converted to the more powerful 180 HP Lycoming but maybe in this case the cowling was a custom or STCd design for a 172 conversion. Note also the large lip along the bottom – cooling was apparently an issue.

The wheel fairings look like a mixture of early mains and later nosewheel. Given the O-360 if it were to be sold back to North America this plane would stand some chance of being converted to a tail dragger in the future, building a mini C180 from a 175 is fairly popular, but I’d prefer it as is and also over a Reims Rocket.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Dec 20:49
Sign in to add your message