Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

I couldn’t seem to find in this very long thread as to how the CAA deals with those flying aircraft with a non-UK licence. Out of curiosity, is there an “extradition process”? Would the CAA need to argue their case to the FAA or LBA?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Post 748. Or search “criminal record” sort by date and look for post by Cub.

London, United Kingdom

I suspect on good authority that our friend Cub over embellishes the response of other regulatory authorities for his usual dubious PR purposes, whereas in fact most shrug with a “ah yes those stupid British, who think theeey invented democracy, but who are best ignored because they are sooo stupid”.

49 USC 44709 local copy Also here.

The FAA can revoke your license, obviously, but unlike with the UK CAA (or possibly most European CAAs) you get this

(c) Advice to certificate holders and opportunity to answer. – Before acting under subsection (b) of this section, the Administrator shall advise the holder of the certificate of the charges or other reasons on which the Administrator relies for the proposed action.  Except in an emergency, the Administrator shall provide the holder an opportunity to answer the charges and be heard why the certificate should not be amended, modified, suspended, or revoked. [my bold]

Apparently this section was heavily amended recently under the 2nd Pilot Bill of Rights.

So they need to be a little more careful, whereas here in the UK they can just pull the plug on you, with no hearing and no appeal short of taking legal action.

There is also FAA Order 2150 local copy which lists the general criteria. I haven’t read it in detail. There is some stuff there under “foreign regulations”. lt would appear that the non-US CAA would need to really want to hit you hard and make an example, because I can’t find an easy procedure allowing a European CAA to just tell the FAA to suspend you.

Worth noting that discussions of the UK CAA policy on this topic have now been blocked on both the UK Flyer forum and the (very small) UK PPL/IR forum. In the former case apparently due to pressure from the establishment, and in the latter case because the mod sits occassionally on the CAA infringements committee

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

UK PPL/IR

Mmmhh… I don’t know if that one, but on PPLIR europe no such thing happened

wbardorf wrote:

Out of curiosity, is there an “extradition process”? Would the CAA need to argue their case to the FAA or LBA?

I don’t see how they could. There are no legal actions, only training/courses to be taken to prevent the UK CAA from taking your UK licence. I don’t think the UK CAA can take my license without going through court? I guess they could ground me though, prevent me from entering UK airspace ? There are lots of black listed foreign airline companies for instance. But doing this on an individual pilot basis sounds very stasi.

Someone should try, and we will see what happens

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

“Worth noting that discussions of the UK CAA policy on this topic have now been blocked on both the UK Flyer forum”

Well if that’s true and I have to say I find it hard to believe then it’s a real shame.

Post’s like this one are incredibly educational.

Last Edited by Bathman at 23 Nov 08:37

Bathman wrote:

I have to say I find it hard to believe

In the case of PPL/IR Europe you would be quite correct not to believe it.

Neither of the mods sit on the AIWG. I do, but I am not a mod, and have no desire nor desire to shut down any discussion.

The level of misrepresentation on this subject is really amazing.

EGKB Biggin Hill

You are not a moderator on PPL/IR, Timothy? That would be a huge change from all those years

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

The level of misrepresentation on this subject is really amazing.

You keep saying that, and I guess the truth is out there somewhere. Could you put up a list of what is fact and what is misinterpretation ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message