Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

This thread from 2016 is quite fun to read…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The numbers in post #1 in the above link are interesting.

35% had > 1000hrs and 21% had CPL/ATPL !!! This is what I found on the Gasco course, which was aimed at total novices who could only just about navigate. So whoever set up the Gasco course should have been aware of the likely audience.

Administrator

Buried in a 182 page report on civil (i.e. commercial) aviation in France in 2015 I found this page which details loss of separation per 100,000 flights 1999-2013. They’re classed in two categories of severity, 70% and 50% of minimum separation.

The trend is obviously decreasing.

CAG: GA
CAM: Military
FDS: programme that detects converging aeroplanes

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

35% had > 1000hrs and 21% had CPL/ATPL !!!

Flying GA, I guess?

A friend of mine told me he expects getting a hard hit on busting CAS with his CPL/FI tickets flying a Cessna for fun compared to those flying CAT or just flying on PPL, so that explains the %?

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Dec 13:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Flying GA, definitely – up to and including bizjets.

Bizjet pilots flying OCAS sections have definitely been busted to Gasco; I met my IR examiner there who did that.

Interesting data, Capitaine. I wonder how other countries compare? 0.5 to 2.0 losses of separation per 100k flights is an interesting statistic. Perhaps one of the recently joined people who have popped up in this thread has all the data and can post it? According to the DfT UK GA does about 1 million hours per year.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I wonder how other countries compare?

This diagram is posted on the Swedish Transport Authority web site. The numbers are infringements, not loss of separation. The blue bars show total number of infringements (reported, obviously), while the curve shows infringements per 100 000 movements.

An infringement is defined as

• flying in controlled airspace without a clearance
  • flying in an RMZ without radio communication
  • flying in a D- or R-area or TRA without coordination/permission.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Dec 15:42
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s really interesting too.

I wonder what % of infringements involve a loss of separation? For a given country, we have numbers for one, or the other

Is there data for France or Sweden for total annual GA hours?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there data for France or Sweden for total annual GA hours?

For Sweden (SE-reg aircraft):

2010: 150 561 h
2011: 154 827 h
2012: 144 140 h
2013: 142 123 h
2014: No data
2015: 154 855 h
2016: 155 261 h
2017: 143 355 h
2018: 148 650 h

It’s also interesting that the private flying part of GA showed a decreasing trend 2010-2013, but an increasing trend 2015-2018.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

2018 figures from some of the federations:

I’ve not yet found any publicly available record of hours flown by non-club pilots (e.g. private owners)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

One of the reasons for a regulatory assessment when you introduce new procedures is that at the very least you pronounce some justification for the changes you propose.

For something like this you would want to show that you had some useful data on infringements in other EASA member states and even in the other main GA havens, that you had considered the regulatory response to infringements, and taken some sort of measure of the impact of these responses to the number. All of that would build a fact based picture of the extent of the problem, and the impact of the solutions, and would go towards justifying any changes in policy. That would be the least we might expect, especially regarding a change that could have a substantial impact on pilots.

Here we have a pilot whose living might be based on public transport with excursions into GA and commercially OCAS who in the past might have had two minor infringements and two chats with ATC facing licence suspension, and 10,000s of thousands of pounds down the drain, all on the basis of a regulatory change for which there has been no regulatory assessment.

Of course I could be wrong, and the assessment may have been done, but it would be nice to see it, rather than having to scramble around on the web doing the CAA’s job for them, which they will probably ignore anyway.

Sign in to add your message