Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Mnemonic:
75 – taken alive. 76 – in a fix. 77 – going to Heaven.
76 is just radio failure.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Prefer the version
75 man with knife
76 radio to fix
77 pray to heaven

Slightly more optimistic ;-)

EDM_, Germany
Thanks for the mnemonic

Meanwhile on airspace busts “US Bravo version”, “remain OCAS”, “I am inside”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I once had a Flight Review with a guy who retired early to become a flight instructor, after a career that took him from disk jockey to radio station owner. One radio station with which he was associated was AM 760, and its been useful to both him and me to remember that!

Peter wrote:

Roughly 10 years ago I was at a presentation at NATS at Swanwick and the subject of 7600 came up. The senior NATS guy said you will get shot down (by the military). I asked him to repeat it, basically, which he did, seriously.

He did actually understand that 7600 is a radio failure and that 7500 is a hijack, right? I mean that is just completely crazy.

Infringements again (UK)

I am one of many who must fume at the infringement avoidance regime now imposed on the UK GA fraternity. NATS report that infringements of CAS are up. It is no surprise as we have a software driven police ready to trigger an MOR (mandatory occurrence report) if you step over the line. I am sure most of the “infringements” are transitory and last mere seconds, and were never ever going to cause a problem to CAT. When we had controllers able to use their judgement on infringements, we could get a telling off, which was enough for most pilots to wake their ideas up. Ok, the self righteous amongst us will trot out the “safety” aspect of infringements etc etc, but most of this over sensitivity to aircraft infringing CAS is due to the burgeoning use of class D airspace dished out willy nilly to minor airfields who feel they must big themselves up because they have some passenger services. Well Covid 19 has taken them down a peg. Southend is closed due to Easyjet having no passengers, Stanstead and Luton flights are but a shadow of their pre-Covid selves.
Luton’s corporate plan a year back was to double the amount of passengers it was handling. All these operators worked on the assumption that CAT would keep on growing and growing. I must confess to be enjoying a large measure of schadenfreude at the moment and would like to see some of the class D areas reduced in size temporarily if not permanently once we see what the new reality is for passenger numbers.
Our transport minister, Grant Schapps makes the right noises when he says “airspace is everybody’s” not just commercial operators, but no action was taken when Farnborough applied and got class D status. The half mil chart for southern England, to the west and east of the Heathrow zone, takes a lot of thought if you are travelling north to south, and if we had carried on with airspace changes pre Covid-19, we would have ended up with GA having to scull about at 1500ft to avoid infringing somebody. I am glad that CAT has had to quieten down however temporary.
One of the unwanted side effects of the CAIT induced infringements regime, is that it has given aircraft insurers carte blanche to raise their prices. In fact last year our syndicate was refused a renewal quote because of our infringement history and had to accept an alternative insurer at a big increase in premium. Also note that the infringement record stays with you for five years.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Propman wrote:

I must confess to be enjoying a large measure of schadenfreude at the moment and would like to see some of the class D areas reduced in size temporarily if not permanently once we see what the new reality is for passenger numbers.

When I know a large number of airline and corporate aviation employees who have lost their jobs, i find this comment disappointing.

Aircraft insurance has gone through the roof everywhere and has little to do with airspace infringements.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Jul 12:40
EGTK Oxford

Be careful what you wish for !

Most of the new CAS bust saga and the abuse of the MOR system has less to do with ailiners mouvements & class D chunks, it is policy design problem that put everything on the pilot…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Propman wrote:

last year our syndicate was refused a renewal quote because of our infringement history

They actually said that?

This is an infringement policy topic, and unfortunately the UK CAA “team” will bust you for a 100ft / 10sec infringement of the LTMA even if all the London airports were totally shut.

This is also why I won’t fly through the Solent airspace when it is notamed inactive, because if I get the timing wrong by 10 secs, I will get picked up by CAIT and will get busted even though there is no traffic.

last year our syndicate was refused a renewal quote because of our infringement history and had to accept an alternative insurer at a big increase in premium

It would be great to post the names of these insurers. They are entitled to do what they like but I am sure others would find it really interesting.

FWIW I didn’t get a premium increase after 1 x bogus exam and 1 x Gasco. That was Visicover. They do ask all the questions on this, in detail. Only a very small general premium increase in May 2020.

I guess an interesting angle is that in a group of say 10 people, there is a 10x bigger chance of getting busted, so the insurance policy is 10x more vulnerable. Not many people think of that one!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message