Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Reply from Gasco:

the courses are run via Zoom, so can be from home or anywhere else, office etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the hotels must have very flexible cancellation policies

Generally they do, especially with the amount of notice that can be given in this case, and that everyone knows about the reason why. I know of at least one event (nothing to do with aviation) that was cancelled which would have happened in July, which the hotel that was hosting it refunded in full no questions asked, even though the event had booked the entire hotel rooms and all.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

I then asked if they are run from home; awaiting a reply. That is quite an important point; it is possible that Gasco did what the universities are doing (to justify the fees the students pay): run online courses from the university student residences!

Sorry to be genuinely stupid – I dont entirely follow your point?

They could have got people to watch the Zoom sessions from the hotel

Administrator

Oh I see, i did wonder if that was your suggestion. Is it possible this is what is happening do you think?

It will be interesting to see there reply.

I posted their reply above. You can sit at home.

Administrator

Ah yes, sorry I missed your earlier post. This is at least some good news.

lionel wrote:

This one is weird to me “En instruction, survol à très basse altitude d’un espace de classe D”. This means that one has flown at very low altitude above class D airspace. So one is above the upper limit class D (a CTR maybe?), but at very low altitude? I wouldn’t expect that any class D would have a ceiling below something like 1000ft (if not 3000ft).

So, I watched the video. That example, that is under the written heading of “very low altitude overflight of class D airspace” is actually described orally as “very low altitude overflight of a pond situated in class D airspace”.

The video also gives examples that, depending on the circumstances, the same technical transgression (“not respecting minimal overflight altitude”) can lead to only a reprimand or a licence suspension. But then, “not respecting minimal overflight altitude” can mean flying over relatively minor towns such as Vichy or Moulins at 4900ft, villages like Luzy (2000 inhabitants…) at 3200ft, buzzing an industrial or military building at 50ft above the building, or flying over Lyon or Marseille at 600ft… Quite different scenarios.

This commission decides “administrative” action, which are parallel and in addition to judicial (criminal) proceedings, if any. It can, and does, decide for no action.

A civil servant from the regional office does a first filter, and decides whether to drop the case or refer it to the commission.

Neither giving one’s observations on the record of fact, nor appearing in front of the commission to defend oneself is mandatory. I doubt that any of those will be seen in a positive light, though.

ELLX

On the topic of Gasco over Zoom, we did that before

I wonder how the following

is implemented – this is from their Course_Description_AL1_pdf.

On the EuroGA Zoom “get-togethers” the number plummeted once I suggested that sitting there with one’s webcam turned off is not respectful to those who put in some effort to produce a presentation So I am sure Gasco will have that as their #1 condition.

Administrator

I am sure they will.

Two pilots to one GASCo chap is apparently the current formula, so it is almost one to one – I wonder how long that will last for? Presumably each course is semi bespoke. It will be interesting to see how the CAA audit the courses, it could be a course of three with a silent attendee.

Such a shame – perfect opportunity to replace the system with a one to one hour or two with a locally designated instructor – put some money directly back into GA, and follow industry norms when it comes to re-fresher trainined or whatever you want to call it.

Of course GASCo will never let this go, it is such a cynical money spinner.

Sign in to add your message