Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

There are plenty of DAs which are 12nm+ offshore, so this remains an interesting point

Anyway, a few more MOR listings have magically come my way…

This one shows why there is no hope at all for GA:

This guy got busted for 100ft in CAS, but feels that FREDA checks would help

This is a curious one

Another 100ft one – got a lesson on TEM!

Another 100ft case, and I wasn’t aware that SD can display an altimeter

Barton is still MORing ATZ busts.

This one is great:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The first one I think their comment is valid. The guy took off and mindlessly followed his GPS, even though he was going in the wrong direction.
GPS is brilliant, but you can’t mindlessless follow it. You must keep your brain on and aware of what you are doing and where.

SD will allow you to print off a plog and as a student he should have been marking it up. It should have been obvious very quickly that the first waypoint didn’t match his plog.

This is no different to someone getting into their car in Lile and putting “Paris” into their GPS and being surprised, they end up in a tiny village in the south of Italy.

In the second case, it’s not the CAA comment, but the pilot’s own comment. Can’t blame anyone other than the pilot for his own comment! In fairness, they were probably trying to “say the right thing” to get the “don’t do it again” letter instead of the course!

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 03 Jul 16:48
EIWT Weston, Ireland

I disagree.
SkyDemon isnt just “a GPS arrow you follow blindly” as was the case 10-15+yrs ago.
The likes of Skydemon and Foreflight are the ultimate flight planning and flight execution tools that are a quantum leap ahead of anything available back then. They are the solution to the infringement problem, not a contributor – its all there on the screen in plan and vertical view, and those comments are like reading a report form 10 or 15 years ago… Hell yeah, lets all go back to using an immediately out of date map, plog and a stopwatch….

regards, SD..

Maybe someone who is more familiar with FAA process can tell us if Elon filed the MOR ?

https://jalopnik.com/spacex-had-to-call-off-a-launch-only-a-few-seconds-befo-1847197135

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jul 19:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
I disagree.
SkyDemon isnt just “a GPS arrow you follow blindly” as was the case 10-15+yrs ago.
The likes of Skydemon and Foreflight are the ultimate flight planning and flight execution tools that are a quantum leap ahead of anything available back then. They are the solution to the infringement problem, not a contributor – its all there on the screen in plan and vertical view, and those comments are like reading a report form 10 or 15 years ago… Hell yeah, lets all go back to using an immediately out of date map, plog and a stopwatch…. 

But it doesn’t matter how good a gps/ flight planning system is, if you are following the wrong flight plan!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

I wasn’t aware that SD can display an altimeter

It displays GPS altitude.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Exactly

Administrator

Infringements are up (of course; better wx so more flying)

but still gasco isn’t making much money

so that is good news. I wonder if something has changed; perhaps most of the busts are by first time “criminals” so they get warning letters?

This is quite funny – illustrating the personality type of the people who operate the infringements policy in the UK. No wonder the system is so totally stuck up its own back orifice, and is above any self-examination.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Are you sure? Some phones/pads also have a barometric altimeter. To me it seems SD “sometimes” uses that, or at least has some filter going.

Just wondering. Could it be that the UK CAA has adopted this “ex RAF procedure” of busting to gather data showing that the whole “system” needs to change fundamentally?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I just saw this updated CAP 1404

and at the bottom of page 4 I read:

Only 5% of those having infringed then re-infringe, demonstrating the value of the Just Culture process.

Which is only valid if more than 5% of the pilot population infringe over a comparable period, e.g. a couple of years?

If, as I imagine, less than 5% of the pilot population infringe over a comparable period, then either:

1. Those who infringe were always more likely* (i.e. more than 5% chance) to infringe than the pilot population, and are now less likely to, or
  2. infringers are representative of the pilot population and the CAA process actually makes them more likely to re-infringe than before!

I guess the CAA’s position is #1, but they really should show the comparable!

Note * “More likely” doesn’t imply they were all idiots, it could just reflect the insanely complicated airspace they fly in.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message