Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

JohnR wrote:

A moment later the call came from a D registered aircraft asking for descent to remain VMC.

“Busted!” (c) :)))

EGTR

That is so funny, on multiple levels

Brits are frequently criticised for VFR in IMC but nobody else admits to doing it on a European forum.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A great result for UK pilots who have had a very unfair treatment from the CAA guy in charge of busts policy.

A super result, the work of a Dutch lawyer Jaap Rademaker, who has been doing a lot of this for no payment. He has already achieved a success in a civil court case where in an interim verdict a judge has already set aside all the preliminary demands of the CAA (who tried to have the case thrown out, and which included amongst others declaring the civil judge not competent; and having the view that the costly judicial review was the only route available).

Administrator

Looking at the big increase in the % of warning letters, I reckon Grant Shapps’ rattling of the cage of the “CAP1404 team” is having an effect

Still, bear in mind that anyone who gets a letter, and does something (anything) again within 2 years, gets gasco.

DAs are enforced more than ever before

Administrator

@Peter, any idea how someone has been able to bust UIR in Jan 2021?! :)

EGTR

I found some UIR charts but can’t quickly find the vertical limits. Is it FL200+? A lot of bizjet pilots have been busted – the first guy I bumped into in the gasco “course” was a CAA IR examiner who got that – for various things related to do with expecting a handover which didn’t come until too late, for the speed.

As an aside, does any other country in Europe publish stats like the UK does? Bear in mind these started coming out only after some FOIA applications.

Administrator

I doubt if France does. Most pilots who infringe agree with ATC or whoever to write an anonymous REX so that others can learn from the error.
There might however be a figure for those who infringe a “P” zone as it usually involves waiting for the air police and an interview. I know someone it happened to, and those writing a REX all agree that its a very unpleasant and time consuming experience. @Peter you got away very lightly. Count yourself lucky.

France

Peter wrote:

I found some UIR charts but can’t quickly find the vertical limits. Is it FL200+? A lot of bizjet pilots have been busted – the first guy I bumped into in the gasco “course” was a CAA IR examiner who got that – for various things related to do with expecting a handover which didn’t come until too late, for the speed.

@Peter, FL245+ :)
Hence me wondering how it can be?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

FL245+ :)
Hence me wondering how it can be?

Russian Bear?
American U2 ?

I’m sure the air attaché at their respective embassy is very diligent in forwarding the MOR.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

You could try FOIA but they would use the GDPR exemption… It is a total joke. Somebody is scraping out the bottom of the barrel.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message