Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

It absolutely has not.

I meant the UK reporting the issue on high numbers of infringements (Airspace Safety Initiative – airspaceafety.com etc.) – not necessarily the change in enforcement and re-education procedures in the past year or so.

Last Edited by James_Chan at 16 May 09:43

This UK publication contains this

which contradicts the experience of many people who got busted. I know people who were told by the CAA guy that no transponder tolerance is being taken into account.

However, it may well be that if you get the “licensed engineer’s report” (this being mentioned in various reports here) certifying that your transponder was over-reading by say 200ft, then the CAA may let you off. This is rather disingenuous because getting that report is going to cost you a few hundred quid, usually involving a flight to an avionics firm which has a transponder tester, or them coming down to you with a daily rate of a few hundred quid

I see that May 2020 sentencing data is out (above link)

I’d like to know how they can send the 6 people down to Gasco given the virus situation. You have just 90 days to attend and if you don’t, your license is suspended.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting to see that one person has given two fingers to the online test. Have we seen that before?

EGLM & EGTN

Desperate times at Gasco I guess, after all they do have a very expensive garden shed to run at Rochester.

It seems astonishing to me that given the present guidance they still want to send people to the re-education camps. Unless the course now could be completed online.

The drop in GA activity in April is pretty dramatic. They are still managing to bust a few pilots though. I wonder whether any allowance is being made for the airspace being almost empty?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was reading an article about actor Morgan Freeman. Apparently some years ago he infringed New York airspace. His licence was suspended for 45 days. Apparently the FAA wanted to suspend it for 90 days but Mr Freeman could afford to be represented by good lawyers.
So the answer is one of the following a) avoid infringing airspace b) Take the punishment whatever it costs c) have enough money to pay a good lawyer and reduce the punishment.
It looks like the UK is not alone in dishing out costly measures.

France

I may have done my first ever airspace infringement yesterday. Climbing out from Ganderkeese EDWQ on a south-eastern course, I was concentrated on laterally avoiding the tiny piece of Bremen class D that reaches down to 1500 ft, while forgetting about having to stay below 2500ft to not vertically climb into the surrounding class D.

I was no more than 200 ft inside and for no more than 20 seconds (I noticed it mainly due to running SkyDemon). Immediately once I dropped below 2500 ft, I called Bremen Tower and told them about it. The controller seemed relaxed and said it wasn’t his airspace (maybe it belongs to approach?) and there was no problem.

On arrival at my destination, I was told to call Langen FIS, but for an unrelated issue (I had set 7600 on the transponder when I couldn’t reach my destination for minutes, but it turned out I had just dialled in the frequency wrong). The very friendly and helpful guy at the other end knew of no issues.

I wonder if this will come to haunt me or not.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I doubt it. I’m not aware of anywhere else as strict as the UK.

If there was a problem, I’m sure that ATC would have told you when you said it to them.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

MedEwok wrote:

I wonder if this will come to haunt me or not.

No. You’re not under the jurisdiction of the UK CAA.

It does show how rusty one can get and how fast it can happen.

Thank you for sharing.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message