Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Or maybe there were 144 individual pilots infringing, of which 13 are 9%.

Biggin Hill

Someone I know infringed several times in a few minutes while orbiting – it sounds like this might have been counted as separate events

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Another UIR bust here. Of course what happened is top secret, to ensure nobody learns from it, so they are publishing this just to keep everybody scared but presumably it is a bizjet

Gasco is getting some good business again for its zoom “courses” 18 x £200.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but presumably it is a bizjet

Or perhaps Ivan in his Tu-95 :-) I wonder what they do/report when the Russians fly in some piece of controlled airspace outside the 12 mile limit.

Andreas IOM

If it really is Putin doing the UIR then publishing that in the numbers is the pinnacle of disingenuity, and they may as well go back to 1939-45. Well, it’s obvious why they won’t do that: it would make UK GA CAS busts look irrelevant

Belgium should be getting those busts too. I wonder if @airways knows anything?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apparently, Ivan also switches his TXP off when he is doing unauthorized formation flying with CAT outside 12nm bands (without TXP/TCAS it does not get logged as separation loss even when they got closer than 100m)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/13/russia-plane-near-miss-passenger-aircraft-sweden

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Dec 10:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Belgium should be getting those busts too. I wonder if @airways knows anything?

Not really. Russian bombers get intercepted before they enter Dutch airspace. Belgium is irrelevant to the Russians.
We’re still gonna buy those ridiculous F35s, though…

EBST, Belgium

This Mike Busch article about altitude and heading deviations, Coping with single-pilot IFR, and the underlying NASA study, might be of interest

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

In the article,

find some substitute like a stick-on altitude reminder, the rotable compass card on your ADF, or a post-it note

I used this trick in my INOP ADF, turn RBI/RMI to 60 when I get assigned FL60

On the topic, there are two places where SEP IFR is the most difficult form of flying:
- Hand flying departure/arrival single pilot in IMC inside busy TMA, the risk is you get yelled at !
- Cross-country along M25 in IMC OCAS in London at 2200ft between airspace & aerodromes, the risk is GASCO !

For both there is no substitute of auto-pilot and moving map with traffic/terrain displayed if one wants to keep their license forever

I think the two places where things go wild,
- When you get vectored by ATC all over the place until you become dumb with no SA (it takes about 5 RT instructions to become dumb)
- When you get direct waypoint by ATC that you are not expecting and your start fiddling with the navigator (maybe having two GPS or using tablet to get initial heading?)

Some nice souvenirs of SP-IFR in UK tough: getting stuck in ice between terrain & airspace while changing frequency/squawk 5 times between QE2 bridge and Lydd on on return telling London FIS that you are no longer interested in controlled airspace (decided to fly low level IMC until destination at 1500ft amsl)

I doubt US friends should have much these difficulties while SP-IFR after all they just fly “N123, with you” and “roggerring” to everybody along the way

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jan 14:59
Sign in to add your message