Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IFR 6 Months grace period

The approaches and holds flown can count towards your currency requirements, but it is not enough to become FAA current (I assume you do only fly 2, and not 6 approaches during that flight).

The only case might be where your EASA checker happens to be a CFI-I and he signs the flight off as an IPC.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Apr 06:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Got it. Need to check with him if he’s also faa CFII. The program of IPC seems very very similar to my easa check flights.

Switzerland

Peter wrote:

AFAIK you don’t need a valid FAA PPL or an FAA medical, in order to maintain the 6/6 FAA IR rolling currency by flying IAPs on the privileges of some other papers. Or by flying with an instructor, in which case you don’t need any license or medical whatsoever

This is one of the nice areas where the FAA regulations tend to keep things simple and separate, without adding unnecessary complication or dependencies.

boscomantico wrote:

The only case might be where your EASA checker happens to be a CFI-I and he signs the flight off as an IPC.

Agree.

Forget the idea of “recognize” any EASA qualifications or checks. The FAA regulations stand alone and they need to be met as such. If an IPC is required because the 6-month grace time has been exceeded, then it needs to be done per the FAA regulations by an FAA authorized person:
-————————————————-
The instrument proficiency check must be given by -

(i) An examiner;

(ii) A person authorized by the U.S. Armed Forces to conduct instrument flight tests, provided the person being tested is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces;

(iii) A company check pilot who is authorized to conduct instrument flight tests under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter or subpart K of part 91 of this chapter, and provided that both the check pilot and the pilot being tested are employees of that operator or fractional ownership program manager, as applicable;

(iv) An authorized instructor; or

(v) A person approved by the Administrator to conduct instrument practical tests.
-————————————————-
and ….
-————————————————-
Authorized instructor means -

(i) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with § 61.217, when conducting ground training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her ground instructor certificate;

(ii) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with § 61.197, when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate; or

(iii) A person authorized by the Administrator to provide ground training or flight training under part 61, 121, 135, or 142 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with that authority.

Last Edited by chflyer at 08 Apr 10:43
LSZK, Switzerland

The last item in that list is quite interesting. I wonder what an example might be?

Normally the FAA allow any (non FAA certified) instructor to do training, outside the US, but for the BFR and the IPC they do not – thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The flight review and IPC endorsements can only be given by the holder of a US flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings. That authority is conferred by 14 CFR 61.3(d)(ii) on US certificate holders only. Other ICAO instructors can only give the endorsement described in para (d)(iii) of that section, as stated in para (b) of section 61.41: “A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.”

See also 62 FR 40888 (amendment 61-103), preamble to final (corrected) rules, 3rd column discussing section 61.3.

London, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message