Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Malibu PA46 N757NY down in Goose Bay

Ibra wrote:

Don’t look much in details but at some point they need to get above +8000ft MSAs better sooner than later?

Sorry, you lost me.

EGTK Oxford

Timothy wrote:

Um, what don’t you understand? That I make a special case of the Arctic?

No. I don’t understand how people don’t understand that Artic is special.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I was assuming they are flying Canada to Greenland, so at some point one needs to climb to +4000ft in Canada or +8000ft in Greenland?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I was assuming they are flying Canada to Greenland, so at some point one needs to climb to +4000ft in Canada or +8000ft in Greenland?

Well not quite but they are in a pressurised single that can fly at FL250. You would always climb. If going into Narsarsuaq like they were you can come in over the the sea. But in a Malibu you just would never fly that route that low.

EGTK Oxford

The surviving pilot has posted on UK social media that he is Sam Rutherford.

He is a high profile personality on the GA scene. Please don’t write anything that might get EuroGA sued.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Please don’t write anything that might get EuroGA sued.

Isn’t that an entirely unfounded worry?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Isn’t that an entirely unfounded worry?

The whole business of who exactly flew the Stearman around the world got very nasty indeed, involving a number of organisations in hassle that I am sure Peter can live without.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Sam was waiting and checking for the latest weather. Not sure what happened but it is always sad and terrible news when an accident happens. I have been in short contact with him through FB messenger. He is responding and I hope he will recover soon. I have lost already quite a few people that were either pilot friends or that I knew relatively well. In a way, getting into an accident with flying aircraft can be so unforgiving.

As for Ms Curtis-Taylor in her Stearma with Sam being her logistics manager, how is this related to this specific aircraft crash? I was not there on any of Ms Curtis-Taylor’s flights so have no clue as such on what really happened except for the mixed stories online and would actually prefer to keep it that way :-)

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 04 May 12:03
EDLE, Netherlands

Quite, but just pointing out how litigiousness and Sam have historically been connected.

EGKB Biggin Hill

JasonC wrote:

Particularly in a Malibu which could climb through it. You either depart planning to climb on top, or you stay put. Flying along at 2000ft is stupid particularly as you won’t have planned that (hence presumably the CFIT). I bet they thought they were flying out over the water so stay low until the weather improves.

Exactly. Goose Bay – Narsarsuaq is a 676 NM GC. If you depart into the weather, with prevailing winds often in your back, it may be crap all the way. Regardless of aircraft you can’t possibly plan that leg over open ocean at 2000ft as a reasonable alternative. And even less with such a capable aircraft.
I don’t understand the decision-making either.

ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message