Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Malibu PA46 N757NY down in Goose Bay

I had been in contact with Alan in the last couple of weeks. Sad to hear of this news. RIP

Was this a ferry flight with the aircraft owner in the RHS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes this was a ferry flight with the owner.

The surviving pilot is British and experienced.

I suggest we let him explain and learn. I just did the same flight 48 hours prior. I know he is far from being stupid.

My Condolences to the owner’s family and support to the pilot.

David

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Interesting use of a satphone for rescue purposes – from today’s Times

Didn’t Mr Simpson previously have a Commander 115?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m looking at doing this exact departure, from Goose Bay headed to Narsarsuaq, tomorrow. Seems like the coastal weather is often much worse than at Goose Bay itself. Not much weather reporting once you leave Goose Bay. It’s a tricky leg. Glad I’ve got 160 gallons in the 182!

Kent, UK

SAM! I met him back in 2017 at Reikjavik. We were ferrying our 210 home to Spain and I seem to recall he was assisting someone to ferry a 206 on floats to Norway. Wx out of Reikjavik was one of the worst I have flown in with strong gusty wind overpowering the nosewheel steering bungee in our 210 and making me think it had broken. We ended up stopping the taxi on the apron as some pax boarding a commuter airplane watched in awe a couple of guys in red survival suits stopping their little airplane and crawling under it in the blowing rain…we ended up having to do the infamous 270 turns to get the aircraft turning 90degrees taxying to where we wanted it to. The twr did not know what to do with us and I wonder how Sam managed to taxi the tall 206 on floats with no wheel steering!

PS: before some flak comes my way for flying in this wx, I must say it was much better as soon as we were out of Iceland and it was forecast to get much worse all around in the coming hours for several days…

In the case of Sams accident wx seemed to be not that bad until after the accident. They were obviously flying vfr at low level which is weird for the kind of aircraft on that route. It must have been a conscious decision for whatever reason ( scenic?)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Katamarino wrote:

I’m looking at doing this exact departure, from Goose Bay headed to Narsarsuaq, tomorrow

Have a good flight! When I flew that route I preferred to use Kangerlussuak, but lack of an HF radio made the choice for me. Fly safe and keep us posted! 160 usg surely help with options! I was only carrying 120

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

In the case of Sams accident wx seemed to be not that bad until after the accident. They were obviously flying vfr at low level which is weird for the kind of aircraft on that route. It must have been a conscious decision for whatever reason ( scenic?)

Flying into a mountain typically requires IMC so not scenic! The newspaper report indicates the surviving pilot claims he wasn’t at the controls and was on his laptop so has no idea what happened. This of course means there was no emergency.

Whether a ferry pilot should be on their laptop at 2000ft in poor weather in IMC over terrain in Northern Canada is an interesting question even with the owner flying.

EGTK Oxford

As I discovered yesterday, there are other possible explanations.

I was flying a large twin out of a runway in mountainous terrain and the gear stuck down in the worst configuration, with D doors hanging as well. Performance was so bad that we had to manoeuvre along narrow valleys to get altitude.

I am not for a moment suggesting that this might be the explanation, simply that there are always explanations that you hadn’t thought of.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I was flying a large twin out of a runway in mountainous terrain and the gear stuck down in the worst configuration, with D doors hanging as well. Performance was so bad that we had to manoeuvre along narrow valleys to get altitude.

I am not for a moment suggesting that this might be the explanation, simply that there are always explanations that you hadn’t thought of.

Yes, but if over the flats of Goose Bay in that case my first thought would not be, “ how about we fly to Greenland like this?” …

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message