Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Malibu PA46 N757NY down in Goose Bay

Database is an issue, and AFAIK G1000 is not able to work north of 70° (Or something like this, depends also of longitude)

If you’re distracted, maybe by a warning or failure which means you’re on your laptop looking at the POH?

EGTF, LFTF

LimaVictor wrote:

Database is an issue, and AFAIK G1000 is not able to work north of 70° (Or something like this, depends also of longitude)

On the DA42 it’s only certifield for DAY VFR operations

LimaVictor wrote:

It could depend on the particular installation, but the POH for an aircraft near me says using the G1000 for navigation is “not authorised”:

• North of 72°N
  • South of 70°S
  • North of 65°N between 75°W and 120°W
  • North of 70°N between 70°W and 128°W
  • North of 70°N between 85°E and 114°E
  • South of 55°S between 120°E and 165°E
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

but the POH for an aircraft near me says using the G1000 for navigation is “not authorised”

Is that an insurance liability statement (aircraft/avionics were not tested/certified there, so not in scope)? or a real reliability concern (G1000 goes off or completly wrong over there) ?

I don’t think a paper map from 1926 + compass/watch are that good neither…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Something here, perhaps?

I have a vague recollection that the mapdata disappears, but the GPS continues to work as normal for flying from one waypoint to the next.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

s that an insurance liability statement (aircraft/avionics were not tested/certified there, so not in scope)? or a real reliability concern (G1000 goes off or completly wrong over there) ?

Clearly as you get closer to the magnetic poles, at some point the magnetometer will start becoming too inaccurate.

The G1000 Pilot’s Guide is slightly less restrictive. Instead of saying navigation is “not authorised” it says that you risk “loss of reliable attitude and heading indications” which in practise amounts to much the same thing — at least if you fly IFR.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 May 13:09
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LimaVictor wrote:

Narsarsuaq is 61 degrees north. Well within the G1000 limits. And Goose Bay has a WAAS reference station. You don’t have WAAS in Greenland but do in the that part of Canada.

I know G1000 installations that have had terrain warnings in Greenland. The system appears to still run.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 May 12:34
EGTK Oxford

Airborne_Again wrote:

Clearly at some point from the magnetic poles the magnetometer will start becoming too inaccurate.

The limits in your post 65, also found in section 1.2 of the Garmin GMU 44 magnetometer installation manual (pdf link), correspond to a main field horizontal intensity weaker than 7 μT. See chart for component H according to WMM (link). Polar stereographics are in the zip archive. Garmin uses IGRF but WMM charts are perfectly adequate. At Goose component H is about 15 μT.

Ibra wrote:

I don’t think a paper map from 1926 + compass/watch are that good neither…

Frank Worsley wouldn’t have agreed. See Shackleton’s South, ch IX (link).

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 13 May 13:15
London, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

I know G1000 installations that have had terrain warnings in Greenland. The system appears to still run.

Which digital elevation model does the G1000 use there? The SRTM only collected data between S56 and N60.

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message