Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 down in Channel - N147KA

A sad day for some family.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

BBC report.

Very hazy conditions today (just come back from St Yan LFLN) with nothing visible of the coast until a few nm from it. No horizon at all - instrument flying conditions. But one could see straight down OK even from FL130.

Some huge TSRAs near the N coast of France...

Reportedly a Cirrus SR22.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A rather curious angle here and here and here

Sgt Andy Thomas, from Hampshire Police, said the force was conducting a missing person investigation and working with international police as part of its inquiries.

"I'm keeping an open mind as to what has happened to Mr Schornstein.

"We're releasing a picture of him in case he has been spotted since, or if anyone else has important information that can assist us," he said.

I have never read anything like that before.

Administrator

N147KA

It was for some time based at Shoreham EGKA, as a "zero equity" group, hence the "KA".

I flew in it once or twice, years ago. The eventual rental was in the region of £300/hr so not a cheap way to fly to Le Touquet, which seemed to be its primary mission. The scheme collapsed recently and somebody bought it.

It was one of several; another being N147KB which was based at EGKB, etc.

Administrator

http://www.premar-manche.gouv.fr/actualites-communiques-presse/avion-tourisme-abime-mer-large-boulogne-sur-mer.html

An interesting picture in that report, the small piece of wreckage shows clearly that there had been a CAPS deployment on this aircraft!

Is it possible to be certain about that? Presumably any impact sufficient to tear the airframe apart may also pull the parachute cords and cables out.

There are several possibilities:

1. As you suggest, the impact could have torn the risers out when the fuselage shattered. I don't think this has been seen before.

2. The rocket could have fired on impact and the parachute then dragged under as the plane sank. There have been a number of rockets that have fired on impact.

3. An intentional deployment within design parameters. This is very unlikely as the impact speed was obviously far higher than would have been the case.

4. An intentional deployment done to late with the chute being dragged under. This is a possibility and is something that has happened in a number of Cirrus fatal accidents.

EGSC

Any news on this accident?

It has gone very quiet. There have been reports in various places that scuba divers “accidentally” discovered the wreckage.

Administrator

Post 1500 on the missing Malaysian airliner in ppxxxx is said to be from a friend of the pilot and says what hapened .

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Post 1500 is meaningless – no doubt because the mods are desperately deleting postings on that thread.

I am fine with this in Hangar Talk but can we please start any discussion on the Malaysian airliner under a new heading, still in Hangar Talk?

This thread is about the SR22.

Correction: I suspect you mean this bit of text, which appears a bit further back:

I thought the chances of amateur divers locating the wreckage by accident were incredibly small. It seemed obvious that they were given the coordinates.

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Mar 22:43
Administrator
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message