Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

Airborne_Again wrote:

I mean, there is something very strange with a “political reason” that unites e.g. US democrats and European communists!

Ummmmm, nothing strange in that at all, particularly between those two groups! The motivation is building a new overarching shell of power over individual lives that would otherwise be protected by existing rights. The ‘end of the world’ play is one way to justify it to the impressionable masses. Just like religion.

Soon, if nobody is careful, we’ll have people in relative poverty giving their all to build beautiful, jewel encrusted climate churches, which then will funnel money to the main center of study. Or can’t that ever happen in Europe?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Apr 15:36

Silvaire wrote:

Ummmmm, nothing strange in that at all, particularly between those two groups! The motivation is building a new overarching shell of power over individual lives that would otherwise be protected by existing rights. The ‘end of the world’ play is one way to justify it to the impressionable masses. Just like religion.

Soon, if nobody is careful, we’ll have people in relative poverty giving their all to build beautiful, jewel encrusted climate churches, which then will funnel money to the main center of study. Or can’t that ever happen in Europe?

You and I must be living in different realities…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Silvaire wrote:

Or can’t that ever happen in Europe?

Not likely… The way things look they won’t rise any money but rather suffocate whatever they tax to death. The one thing which would put an end to a lot of airline travel very fast would be to tax the fuel the same way GA is taxed also for international flights. In reality, that would be all that is needed to bring back the glorious days when only the “jet set” could travel and everyone else went to Eastborne for their summer holidays…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am afraid all this climate change is politics rubbish is ignoring the reality. Science says it is real. It is not a political subject even though politicians opine on it. Whatever agendas we all have, those of us with children owe it to them not to screw up their world. Travel to some parts of the ocean that are literally plastic sargasso seas – I have.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Apr 21:41
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I am afraid all this climate change is politics rubbish is ignoring the reality. Science says it is real. It is not a political subject even though politicians opine on it. Whatever agendas we all have, those of us with children owe it to them not to screw up their world. Travel to some parts of the ocean that are literally plastic sargasso seas – I have.

Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Plastic soup is real, this is environment, pollution, not climate. Please don’t confuse. Climate is how the average of temperature, humidity, wind direction, precipitation, pressure etc over long term (centuries) evolves.

EBKT

Climate changes and that’s the fact. It has been changing since formation of the atmosphere. The question is how much humans contribute to this change and whether by-products of human industry and living in general negatively affect the climate in terms of endangering existence of living beings, humans included. So focusing to CO2 emission only as measure of climate change is oversimplifying.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In the end nature will balance it. The question is if we will still be a part of it. Right now, it’s about the money. The economy is based on fossil fuels for a reason, it takes precedence over all other factors. If that leads to stable, healthy and happy humans on the earth is another thing entirely.

I’d like for governments to start taxing plastic. Think of the millions of plastic containers „confiscated“ and discarded at security of just one major airport. Now think of thousands of airports… it. is. insane!

The duty free shops charge up to 4€ for a plastic bottle of water. The airport happily collects high rent etc.. – the cycle continues. It’s about the $. All the while people in the „developed“ (whatever that means) world cannot drink freshwater at home as it is contaminated because the pipe infrastructure is crippling. Instead of fixing that it’s actually moving in the opposite direction with discussions about outsourcing water supply to the private sector.

I’m not saying duty free plastic bottles are related to climate change, but the mechanism is the same.

For me the climate change topic is representative for comparing costs and benefits of using our planets resources. I’d rather have smart people scientifically develop the answers than going for “cheap now, expensive later” mantra.

It is what it is…

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Apr 11:42
always learning
LO__, Austria

Emir wrote:

Climate changes and that’s the fact. It has been changing since formation of the atmosphere.

Indeed. What is demonstrably special right now is the speed of the change.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What is demonstrably special right now is the speed of the change.

That isn’t correct. What is seen is that the amount of CO2 has increased. How this will effect the climate we will know in 1000 years or more. If the CO2 makes the atmosphere warmer and wetter, then more ice will accumulate on Greenland, not less. The same could happen in Antarctica, which today per def is a desert.

Things will change, human made or not. That’s the only thing we can be sure of.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message