Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

Could also be fissile fuels but I don’t think Germans are investing much in that

Fossil fuels.

Another one for the collection

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great thread, just read as much as I could stand in one sitting.

As a Research Scientist who had been to Greenland a number of times for glacial research (pun intended), I’ve come to learn that the posts about there being far too many variables is true.

One thing I found ironic is the link, even in this thread between solar energy (in this case capturing it) and global warming.

The light bulb went off for me a few years ago

https://www.space.com/2942-sun-activity-increased-century-study-confirms.html

Of course the Greta disciples (to which the UN seems to belong after basically canonizing her by giving her a global platform) will say that good Professor should be burned at the stake or at least be dismissed and shut up. What he sais is pretty much what is happening, however, the IPCC has become much more vocal as well, so his analysis with 2007 quotations are outdated.

Unfortunately, it appears that “group 3” in this video has now managed to create an atmosphere of panic which has reached a critical mass of news outlets, politicians and which is obviously expolited by environmentalists and other folks trying to change society. It appears that the avalance of new regulation, taxes, fees and shutting up of dissident opinions is now truely rolling down the hill towards our economy and society and it will be very hard to control.

Unfortunately, my prediction is that by this religious frevor and the eagerness of politicians to exploit the fear of people to extort more money and pursue long hedged goals which have little if anything to do with the environment will actually damage the technological progress needed to make a difference, instead it will polarize society and, if things get out of hand, may well lead to civil unrest if not civil war.

Our upper house of parliament have yesterday debated on the issue with horrifying results: a huge fine on any airline ticket sold( up to 100£ per seat (result will be people will fly from Italy or France and massively damage our local carriers and infrastructure) a CHF 500.- fine on each movement of commercial non airline traffic INCLUDING sight seeing flights exercised by clubs or aeroclubs despite being aimed at the evil creatures who use business jets and similar stuff such as a massiv price increase in heating oil by fines (taxes) and prohibition of fossile fuel heating from 2025 as well as naturally a massive price increase for automotive fuel.

Hopefully this will be shot to hell by the lower house and if not them then rejected by the people in the public vote which will happen if a referendum is called, which I regard as certain. Should it come here, it will destroy GA totally, will massively harm the airline industry to the point where I am sure Lufthansa will shut down Swiss and Edelweiss and transfer pax to Germany. It will be time to leave the country if not the continent.

The big problem will be that this kind of frontal attacks at the middle classes will be a great platform for demagogues and ultra right wing parties and unfortunately, as all the others have jumped on the bandwagon now, no choice but to vote for them in order to keep further harm from us.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Wait, this can’t be the same Richard Lindzen who’s sponsored by the coal company Peabody Energy, can it?

Sigh.

From the IPCC themselves.

The latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report highlights the urgency of prioritizing timely, ambitious and coordinated action to address unprecedented and enduring changes in the ocean and cryosphere.

Global warming has already reached 1°C above the pre-industrial level, due to past and current greenhouse gas emissions. There is overwhelming evidence that this is resulting in profound consequences for ecosystems and people. The ocean is warmer, more acidic and less productive. Melting glaciers and ice sheets are causing sea level rise, and coastal extreme events are becoming more severe.

“If we reduce emissions sharply, consequences for people and their livelihoods will still be challenging, but potentially more manageable for those who are most vulnerable”

https://www.ipcc.ch/2019/09/25/srocc-press-release/ IPCC report

Highly selective and disingenuous misquoting coupled with undisputed truisms is as old as the hills.

Oh, yeah. 97% of climate scientists agree, explicitly or implicitly that that global warming is happening and is human-caused. It is “extremely likely” that this warming arises from “human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases” in the atmosphere. Natural change alone would have had a slight cooling effect rather than a warming effect.

But that’s the beauty of the internet. Dig for long enough and you’ll always find something to support a viewpoint.

How will you get the BRICS countries to sign on to a policy that essentially excludes them from going through the industrial revolution? (which they are all still going through right now)

In China, one doesn’t actually install filters in chemical discharge vents, one pays the inspector. Much cheaper and far more effective.

In Africa, people don’t have jobs, let alone any of these “carbon” problems. They burn plastic to stay warm when it gets cold.

In South America, the Holy grail of alternative fuel sources (ethanol) is now one of the leading causes of deforestation there.

Again… Look at the sun
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/17jan_solcon/

Last Edited by AF at 27 Sep 21:57

DavidJ wrote:

Oh, yeah. 97% of climate scientists agree, explicitly or implicitly that that global warming is happening and is human-caused.

Well, any scientist who disagrees is very fast looking for a new job these days.

As much as any kid in school who goes flying on vaccation is shamed by the rest of the mob. Watch out what will happen there, indoctrination in schools has reached a massive proportion. I shudder to think how to deal with that once my kid goes there….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well, any scientist who disagrees is very fast looking for a new job these days.

Oh, no, really?

I really pity them, forced to agree with each other like they do.

Apart from Lindzen, of course. He seems to be doing ok, earning plenty of $$$ from a fossil fuel energy company.

His contemporaries don’t think too much of him, though…

According to them he’s “feeding upon an audience that wants to hear a certain message, and wants to hear it put forth by people with enough scientific reputation that it can be sustained for a while, even if it’s wrong science”.

Mmmmm.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

my prediction is that by this religious frevor and the eagerness of politicians to exploit the fear of people to extort more money and pursue long hedged goals which have little if anything to do with the environment will actually damage the technological progress needed to make a difference, instead it will polarize society and, if things get out of hand, may well lead to civil unrest if not civil war

One thing you can count on is that facts won’t play much of a role. Europe is never very far from conflict, rarely rational, and in that I think you and Peter are both right. But I don’t think Europeans have it in them to fight for anything any more, whether right or wrong. The religious, fascist, or whatever you want to call it forces are taking over with climate nonsense as their banner issue, and the effect is going to be another historical round of class stratification, with the masses lowering their personal expectations and obediently submitting to their government sponsored or employed lords. Given the lack of violence in that, and the fact of having spent a huge number of dollars and lives sorting out Europe over last 100 years, the US is going to be studiously ignoring it, concerned mainly about more pressing issues like shutting down China before they call in their debt. Russian power and natural gas then becomes Europe’s expensive problem, again and as always, and as always Switzerland will avoid the worst of it except maybe for the bizarre social issues you describe… in this case protected by hydro power.

That’s my prediction I’m happy to view Europe as an adult vacation land, a place to spend discretionary money earned elsewhere having fun, avoiding the daily frustration while enjoying immersion in history. Next year I’ll traverse CH again on my way to Barcelona, watching for outrageously costly speed traps as always but happy that the CHF is again at equity with the dollar. That’s all I need to care about in Switzerland, other than enjoying beautiful passes in Graubunden

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Sep 04:39
Sign in to add your message