Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

@DavidJ, I have no idea where the mindset of your posts comes from, it doesn’t quite strike me as religious zealotry, but the repetitive posting of other people’s ideas does come across as fan club mentality versus individual critical thinking. Where you’ve made individual comments they have been factually incorrect with no subsequent acknowledgement. You’ll have to indulge in this kind of thing with somebody else.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Sep 23:47

Airborne_Again wrote:

All facts need interpreting

No they don’t. It’s what you want to extrapolate and extract from the facts that needs interpreting. Temperatures need no interpreting. They are cold hard facts (or warm and wet ) and the same goes for sea level and all other physical and measurable quantities. Climate “science” is one of looking for any and all correlations with time series of physical measurable quantities and human activity. Sea level shows no such correlation.

@Airborne_Again wrote

Particularly as “mental illness” carries negative connotations.

Does it really? In Sweden perhaps, but I really don’t think that many people in other countries would peddle that sort of medieval prejudice.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

No they don’t. It’s what you want to extrapolate and extract from the facts that needs interpreting. Temperatures need no interpreting. They are cold hard facts (or warm and wet ) and the same goes for sea level and all other physical and measurable quantities.

In a sense that’s correct, but you can’t draw conclusion from facts alone — you need interpreting. Silvaire’s comment about “facts not supporting the hype” is based on an interpretation.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Sep 06:04
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

From here

Is burning plant-based fuel better for the environment than fossil fuel? (genuine question).

EGKB Biggin Hill

From a CO2 point of view, yes if you replant what you are using. The new plants will bind the same amount of CO2 as you released by burning.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Timothy wrote:

Is burning plant-based fuel better for the environment than fossil fuel? (genuine question).

It’s all about concentration and absolute amount. It’s like water. without it you die, too much and you drown (seriously, plants need CO2 or they will all die). The amount of fuel GA use, there would be no difference either way. Humans breath out more CO2 and fart more methane for a total green house effect by several orders of magnitude compared with what GA is capable of.

Silvaire wrote:

I have no idea where the mindset of your posts comes from

In short, exposure to mendacious and obfuscating half-truths masquerading as ‘critical thinking’.

DavidJ wrote:

In short, exposure to mendacious and obfuscating half-truths masquerading as ‘critical thinking’.

So your response to data which contradicts your point of view is to make statements that he’s digging a hole rather than attempting to point out the errors in the information he has put forwards.

Timothy wrote:

Is burning plant-based fuel better for the environment than fossil fuel?

I think that’s a good question. There’s also a question as to whether the land could be better used for food production. (If you think global food shortages are going to be a future issue)

There’s also the energy cost in production of the biofuels. Planting, harvesting , refining, producing which I’ve not seen the details of how it’s factored in. I don’t know any farmers who are keen on having biodiesel in their machinery (diesel bug, not stable over longer periods, etc) so would imagine there’s a fair amount of fossil fuel input in their manufacture.

Airborne again seems to think that there’s no energy cost in taking the material from raw stock to finished usable product.

If you were to substitute ‘your point of view’ with ‘accepted scientific fact’ I would be perfectly happy with your statement.

Arne wrote:

When I have health questions, I go ask a doctor. When my AME told me to get my heart checked, I got my heart checked. You can feed me all the data you want about hearts, I am not nearly qualified enough to make any sort of judgment.
When I have climate questions, I will ask climatologists. They tell me we’re ruining the atmosphere.
Last Edited by DavidJ at 30 Sep 10:06
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top