Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ever had your glasses checked on a ramp check?

I have a (fortunately funny, not smoking hole in the ground) story about that.

We had a fly-in at our airfield when I lived in Houston, which included a spot landing contest and a flour bombing contest. The flour bombing contest was pretty straightforward, drop a 1/2 lb bag of flour from the plane at 100 feet and whoever gets closest to the target wins. The aircraft should contain a pilot and bombadier, so the pilot can concentrate purely on piloting.

On this day, a friend of mine is doing it in a Champ, with the bombadier in the back seat. He sticks his head out the window to get a better view of the target as he flew towards it…and his glasses were instantly whipped off his face. He didn’t have a spare in the plane. I asked him afterwards how well he could see without his glasses, and he told me (I was standing about 5 feet away), “I can see that you’re there, but I wouldn’t be able to recognise you”. I asked him how he landed the tailwheel aircraft without glasses and he said he just looked for the blurred shape he presumed were the runway edges. I guess at least he had a lookout in the back seat who could yell if he was trying to touch down on a runway 15 feet above where it actually was…

Andreas IOM
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message