Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Building a jet engine with drill, angle grinder and Gaffa tape

I am guess that many of us here would love to be more able to build stuff in our sheds and this guy is a real inspiration.

Actually, that particular project is not his best, I only raise it because of the nebulous aviation link, but there are so, so many others.

I spend far too much time on his channel, but I am hooked by his enthusiasm, his engineering skill, his creativity, his willingness to take risks and, above all, his willingness to try new things and, when they fail, try again a little different.

I apologise if I have just cost anyone hundreds of hours of their lives

Last Edited by Timothy at 07 Jun 09:44
EGKB Biggin Hill

That is hilarious.
I’m looking forward to seeing some of the other videos. I’m already laughing in anticipation.

United Kingdom

Beautiful, the gas generator finished, has he mated it with a turbine yet? PW better watch out :) The TBO might still need some work though.

Last Edited by mcrdriver at 07 Jun 10:40
ESG..., Sweden

Timothy wrote:

Actually, that particular project is not his best, I only raise it because of the nebulous aviation link, but there are so, so many others.

His “the ejector bed” (another video) may save your life flying with that jet engine

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I knew that would be Colin Furze before even clicking on the link… :-)

I’ve met him and seen first hand some of his stuff, as he does things occasionally at Spanhoe airfield.

Last Edited by alioth at 07 Jun 14:55
Andreas IOM

Please thank him from me for bringing joy to my life.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Thanks for posting Timothy,

I have also followed Colin Furze for years. As you know, he has quite a few jet powered projects. I particularly liked the Ramjet powered bicycle.

As you say, his welding and fabrication skills are amazing.

United Kingdom

Well, it’s not technically an engine unless it converts some form of energy into mechanical (usable) work. A torch is not an engine

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Well, it’s not technically an engine unless it converts some form of energy into mechanical (usable) work. A torch is not an engine

I think that if you are going to judge Colin Furze on the basis of usability, you may be looking at the wrong channel.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I think that if you are going to judge Colin Furze on the basis of usability, you may be looking at the wrong channel.

Doesn’t matter. I’m thinking of usability in thermodynamic terms. It’s simply isn’t an engine, it’s a torch. It’s like an airplane that doesn’t fly. It may look like an airplane, smell like an airplane, sound like an airplane, but if it’s incapable of flight, it simply isn’t an airplane.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message