Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Building a jet engine with drill, angle grinder and Gaffa tape

Cobalt wrote:

The construction of this primitive jet engine is the “loo roll holder version” of one he used, built to a somewhat higher standard, and used to push along a scooter.

That makes it an engine Good work !! You have to remember, hard core RC guys have built jet engines out of turbo parts ever since turbo charging became mainstream in smaller engines (cars) some 30-40 years ago. They very soon transformed into highly refined specialized pieces. Now, 40 years later, this dude makes a torch while jumping and screaming, and calls it an engine – not very impressive

It seems to me what this guy is doing, is taking true and trusted RC/drone/MC/lawn mover tech, puts a hillbilly scrap-yard edge to it and lots of over-done make up enthusiasm. A great show for some I guess. I have never seen him before, and will probably never see him again

I sometimes watch these guys:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I love DIY turbines. Started one when I was in school but the fancy AUDI turbocharger I snapped up on ebay turned out to be too “good” for it (needed oil cooling etc..) and I abandoned the build.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Which bit of “incapable of flight” you did not get Cobalt? that is a scooter not an aircraft, tough I wonder where “thermodynamics usuability” argument stops…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Attention, killjoy alert…

@LeSving, It produces thrust where the exhaust leaves the turbo, even if on occasion the gas flame breaks through.

The construction of this primitive jet engine is the “loo roll holder version” of one he used, built to a somewhat higher standard, and used to push along a scooter.

So it is an engine according to your definition. Just not a very efficient one…

Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I think that if you are going to judge Colin Furze on the basis of usability, you may be looking at the wrong channel.

Doesn’t matter. I’m thinking of usability in thermodynamic terms. It’s simply isn’t an engine, it’s a torch. It’s like an airplane that doesn’t fly. It may look like an airplane, smell like an airplane, sound like an airplane, but if it’s incapable of flight, it simply isn’t an airplane.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Well, it’s not technically an engine unless it converts some form of energy into mechanical (usable) work. A torch is not an engine

I think that if you are going to judge Colin Furze on the basis of usability, you may be looking at the wrong channel.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Well, it’s not technically an engine unless it converts some form of energy into mechanical (usable) work. A torch is not an engine

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for posting Timothy,

I have also followed Colin Furze for years. As you know, he has quite a few jet powered projects. I particularly liked the Ramjet powered bicycle.

As you say, his welding and fabrication skills are amazing.

United Kingdom

Please thank him from me for bringing joy to my life.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I knew that would be Colin Furze before even clicking on the link… :-)

I’ve met him and seen first hand some of his stuff, as he does things occasionally at Spanhoe airfield.

Last Edited by alioth at 07 Jun 14:55
Andreas IOM
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message