Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ibuprofen good for high altitude flying?

Altitude sickness is not the same reaction as that to acute hypoxia.

Ibuprofen may help with the former but does nothing to combat hypoxia – only oxygen helps for that.

There is large interpersonal variation to hypoxia but little interpersonal variation to repeated hypoxia.

One of the most consistent and dangerous effects of hypoxia is unawareness of the symptoms and the decrease in performance, self reports of being fine therefore need to be viewed with some caution.

The FAA rules are very generous and other than cost and hassle there is no good reason not to use supplemental oxygen operating above 10000ft.

Pulse oximeters and their readings are only part of the story; cerebral oxygenation is not 1:1 linked to what you measure on your finger.

Liquid Oxygen = Nonsense in this context.

Reduction in Ibuprofen/Paracetamol pack sizes introduced to reduce the chance it is used for impulsive para-suicide attempts, and has been very successful in achieving that objective. Indeed amazing how short the ‘attention-span’ is of those who used this previously for that purpose.

Last Edited by Frank at 18 Jun 22:09
EGBE

I’m sure you’re right, but it is still more effort, and means you’re no longer likely to have big pots of pills hanging about in the bathroom because of supermarket “buy 500 Paracetamol get 500 free” offers.

I reckon that in 100m of Epsom High Street there must be 20 places you could get 16 × 200mg Ibuprofen. Not really a number of shopping trips, just traipsing from shop to shop.

EGKB Biggin Hill

In the UK you’re restricted as to how much Paracetamol or Ibuprofen you can buy at a time. It seems that people who were depressed enough to take overdoses couldn’t be bothered to do the number of shopping trips required to have a good chance of killing themselves.

My understanding is that the policy has reduced deaths.

Last Edited by kwlf at 17 Jun 20:51

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Oh no, you might think that, but one 400 is better than 2 200s.

https://www.empr.com/home/mpr-first-report/painweek-2012/painweek-2012-chronic-pain/single-400mg-dose-otc-ibuprofen-superior-to-200mg-for-pain-relief/

My understanding of that link is that they compared 400mg vs 200mg vs placebo. Not 400mg in one tablet vs in two tablets. I hear that the placebo effect actually makes it so that two tablets of 200mg are more efficient than one of 400mg.

Timothy wrote:

Apparently, and I have yet to have this confirmed by a doctor or pharmacist, if you take two 200mg tablets it’s pretty much the same as taking one 400mg. But no-one has told the Government, and they are too busy tearing themselves to pieces to work it out for themselves.

And you can overdose on taking the whole bottle, or several packs, of pills that you can buy at the supermarket. And also on the chemicals they sell.

Seriously, the way I see many people self-medicate, these kind of limitations make sense. Some have a system of “normal pain take one pill, big pain take two pills”. Some always take two pills, because they want an “effective dose”. Whether the pills contain 500mg of paracetamol or 1g doesn’t make a difference. It is by the number of pills. I kid you not. These are people that can count. Accountants, bank clerks, stuff like that. It never ceases to amaze me.

Some look at me with alarm when I take three pills of 200mg ibuprofen when the doctor wrote me a prescription of 1 pill of 600mg. Or when I swallow five pills of cardiac-dose aspirin (that’s 100mg).

Last Edited by lionel at 17 Jun 20:09
ELLX

I thought the original post was a windup

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So, if you can go to 180 on 400mg in one dose, can you get to 360 on two 200mg doses?

We must be told.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’m not at all saying the article is correct, but the rate of which the active substance is released can clearly be different if you take two x mg tablets compared to one 2x mg tablet and that could make a difference in effect.

I think Timothy will need to be carful what he takes then and in what combination.

You might run into problems going to high without the corrct equipment.

Timothy wrote:

If you believed that, you’d believe that homeopathy doesn’t work. The idea that larger doses of a drug could be more efficacious than smaller is ridiculous.

I’m not at all saying the article is correct, but the rate of which the active substance is released can clearly be different if you take two x mg tablets compared to one 2x mg tablet and that could make a difference in effect.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you want to get it up, that’s a completely different tablet, now also available without prescription.

Last Edited by Timothy at 17 Jun 08:38
EGKB Biggin Hill
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message