Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

dublinpilot wrote:

Have the batteries deteriorated much over that time (reduced range)? Lithium batteries normally deteriorate over time and I understand the ones in the escooters are expensive enough to replace. I’m wondering if that’s an issue?

I don’t really use it enough to know. I have the M365 tools app and it says ‘Rang with a Full Battery Cycle: 13.45km’, but it also says the battery is at 93% and has 27.9 km remaining.

EIMH, Ireland

@boscomantico It‘s been now about five weeks, that we got our Kwiggles. We met the guy who has engineered them at Hildesheim EDVM for a short introductions and a checkride afterwards. We planned to ride from the airport to the town, have lunch (at this time you still got some lunch in the restaurants) and then go back to the plane and fly home.
The flight in the morning was IR but most of the time between the layers.

Also the introduction to this new way of riding a bike was worth to have. Especially to place the saddles in the right position. In our case it was great to meet the guy in person, because the guys in the factory made a mistake with Christianes bike and so she was unable to switch between the gears. as he couldn’t fix it immediately, he offered us to take his Kwiggle for our trip and with us home, and it will be replaced next week by the original one.

Then he left and we went for the ride. It lasted 1,88 km until I made a mistake after a short stop. When starting, the bike is still unstable if you are not used to it. I rode directly into a hole, jammed the small wheel and made a takeoff over the handlebars to the front. The left wrist was sprained, the right elbow – as it turned out two weeks later – broken.
But you know, we have been there to go for a check ride, so we continued our trip, made a stop at a pharmacy to get some tapes and had excellent lunch.

After being back to the plane we put the, in the baggage compartment. And as the weight is only 9,5 kg and they are folding really small, we were happy about it.

Luckily the weather was fine now for the trip home and so Christiane was flying. Look at my hands and you will see, the proof of the accident story.

After this flight we used the Kwiggle during the test period for a while. And because of the elbow, I learned to enjoy to ride the Kwiggle. This upright sitting position makes it easy to go without having weight on the arms. I‘m not able to ride my normal bike up to now, but I‘m able to kwiggle.
So as you might have seen the pictures of our trip to EDME we are using the Kwiggles now when going for flights.

One thing I found out today, when it is getting to steep I‘m not able to ride it any more, but steep means really steep. But most of the time it can easily go with the speed of the e-bike Christiane is using without too much exertion. The gear ratio is really good and so you’ll be fast with the Kwiggles in no time.
And if you are based on an international airport as we are: the Kwiggles will pass the luggage check without any hassle.

EDDS , Germany

Geez. Bad luck. I have ordered mine in the beginning of September I believe, but delivery has been pushed back twice. So, not too happy. I will give a pirep once I get it and tested it out. Hopefully the pirep will be less eventful…

What does @ch.ess have to say?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Nov 16:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico : sorry, the m365 is no longer mine, sold.

The Kwiggles look very interesting, a bit much for a bike IMHO, and I would need 2 ;-)

EDM_, Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

we got our Kwiggles

How does it compare to Brompton?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Emir wrote:

How does it compare to Brompton?

Don‘t know exactly. It folds smaller and you can attach easily a trolley case, so it is useable for full transport from airfield to hotel if you don‘t have to go steep uphill.

EDDS , Germany

Hi guys, just picking up on this thread and the lookout for a couple of decent e-scooters. I’ve seen the Kwiggles bikes and knowing me, they look dangerous! – a small pothole and over the top I go! (its how i knocked my front teeth out when i was 8!) And wife, and kids, who’d want to do wheelies on them I’m sure!

Was advised to look out for the Xiaomi M365 Pro by a friend who’s had one for a couple of years and still raves about it. Looking online, came across this..
https://www.aovopro.com/product/aovo-pro-electric-scooter-350w-motor-dual-brake-app-lcd-display-max-30km-h-waterproof-foldable-e-scooter/?wcpbc-manual-country=GB

Is it a copy of the Xiaomi?

Any other reasonable price (ideally less than £300ish) recommendations?

thanks

vmc-on-top wrote:

a small pothole and over the top I go!

I still stand by my post #18 (above): Go for the largest wheels possible, commensurate with storage ability in the plane.
e-scooters, although looking like good fun and convenient, all seem to fall in to the ‘small wheel’ category.
Likewise, remember all luggage needs to be in a rucksack – not really a problem since that is how I transport my stuff on my Strida.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I got the M365 Pro (1 but there is very little difference between the 1 and 2).

I haven’t used it a lot yet. But a few things I’d point out:

1. It’s very easy to ride. There was no real learning curve.
2. It’s quite long. Longer that I’d have thought from the photos. Make sure it fits in your aircraft.
3. I think you’d really want a helmet if using it regularly. A pot hole in the wrong place, just as something else goes by meaning you can’t avoid it, might be dangerous.
4. Range at full speed is probably just over 50% of quoted range. To get the full you need to travel at an economy speed of 15kph which is much less satisfying!

However the biggest restriction I see is with international travel. Every country seems to have different rules on them, and it’s hard to get a clear picture of any individual country. For example, they are currently illegal in public places in Ireland, but we’re promised the will be legal very soon. They are illegal in the UK in public places, but some rental schemes are allowed. From what I can tell, they are legal in Germany but you need to buy local insurance, and have specific lighting and reflectors. In France they are also legal, but only on certain roads and again with insurance. I couldn’t find anything about where to get the insurance.

I’m not sure that I could be confident that I’d be legal in any particular country using it, even after I researched that country’s rules. This will be a significant limitation.

In summary, a great machine and a great way of getting around, but complicated legalities and you’ll never be 100% sure you’ve done everything necessary in a new country.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Kwiggle mentioned here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message