Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Accident report stating demonstrated crosswind limit as general limit

dirkdj wrote:

it is not a limit unless it is in chapter 2 Limitations of the POH.

In this case it was not in the POH, but the AAIB claims it is a limit anyway.
I had a PM that someone is now taking this further with the authorities.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

dirkdj wrote:

it is not a limit unless it is in chapter 2 Limitations of the POH.

…or the authorities make it a limit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

alioth wrote:

When I had only ~6 hrs of tailwheel time, I flew the club’s Cessna 170 to Weiser Airpark (closed this year to have houses built on it :-( ) and Weiser was oriented such it always had a crosswind, and also had T-hangars quite close to one end of the runway which tended to alternately block and funnel the wind – so no crosswind/strong crosswind/no crosswind/strong crosswind as you passed them.

My landing was sufficiently exciting that the people who were sitting on the benches watching the landings actually got up and ran away. I did manage to (just) keep it on the runway, and nothing but my pride was hurt, but it was an instructive experience.

BTDT on my own plane, when not current, and it was embarrassing. Happily nobody actually had to run away. Re C170s, my experience with an early fabric wing (1948 only) C170 convinced me that I would never fly one in a significant crosswind. The original C170 design uses C140 ailerons and they are in no way big enough. That was fixed on the 170A but on the original plane when flying at low speeds you’d run out of aileron authority before rudder authority. A wheel landing at higher speed would then be necessary.

alioth wrote:

I flew the club’s Cessna 170 to Weiser Airpark (closed this year to have houses built on it :-(

What, the small aerodrome NW Houston?? Such a shame, I remember flying a Citabria out of there a few times when working in Houston.

Regards, SD..

Yep, it’s gone, as of about a month ago. The owner died, and it was immediately put up for sale and bought by a property developer.

Its closure was expected – we all talked about it 20 years before Cecil Weiser died (he was pretty old even back then) that once he was gone, the airfield would die with him.

The airfield where I learned to fly is also now houses (Houston Gulf airport). That was also privately owned, with no taxpayer funding whatsoever, and was profitable. However, it was owned by a distant relative of Osama Bin Laden and all the negative publicity they got for owning an airfield after 9/11, they decided to immediately sell it. Despite it being profitable, and despite the fact it would also attract FAA funding if they applied, the city of League City was not interested at all in taking it over – they would rather have the tax income of a bunch of McMansions instead, so the airfield went.

Last Edited by alioth at 15 Aug 15:49
Andreas IOM
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message