Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter issues and questions (merged)

mdoerr wrote:

Give up RR and file every plan with AutoRouter.

I do like RR finding their service and overall package very good. In particular the combination of their website and syncing to their iPad app works well for me. Whilst I haven’t used AutoRouter in anger yet I’m sure it is an excellent alternative given the glowing comments I read on these forums.

I’ve got nearly a year left on my RR sub, so won’t be stopping using it any time soon but will take the time to see if AR gives better routings. At the very least AR is making full use of profile information in FPLs whereas RR does submit any at all – and appears to be the root cause of my current issue. Lets see if RR does anything to innovate on that.

EGKB

AFAIK RR uses FlightPlanPro code for routing and it doesn’t use profile information (and I doubt it will). I yet have to see at least one serious advantage of RR over autorouter.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

AFAIK RR uses FlightPlanPro code for routing and it doesn’t use profile information (and I doubt it will). I yet have to see at least one serious advantage of RR over autorouter.

Sometimes it finds a route when autorouter doesn’t. For a routing tool that is quite an advantage.

I love autorouter but let’s not get religious about it.

EGTK Oxford

No routing tool works always.

For example I have just tried FlightPlanPro EDMA-EGKA FL080-FL190 and it found no solution. And the Eurocontrol Route Suggest feature which it offers as a last resort also found nothing, so there you have two options, both of which failed. AFAIK, RR uses the same or similar code as FPP (FPP’s developer works for RR)…

There have been cases of Autorouter also not finding a route, where FPP did find one.

You need multiple tools in this game, and continuous internet connectivity to make them work.

You don’t want me to start describing what I was doing c. 2005 when the best phone was this and I had to develop a Eurocontrol flight plan But at the same time the USA was doing just fine; it was only Eurocontrol who screwed up Europe, for the sake of developing an esoteric technological solution to all of mankind’s problems. Only after 2008 it became easier, with routing tools, which Eurocontrol tried to kill, but that’s another story…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

I love autorouter but let’s not get religious about it.

It’s just a software the same as RR or any other. From my limited experience (134 flights with autorouter) autorouter has found same or better routing than FlightPlanPro in almost all cases. I used to use FPP in the past and I still use it to cross-check what AR gives me if I’m not happy with overhead. What’s even better if I’m not happy with something in AR, I just open a ticket and problem is resloved in no time.

And to give recent example.

FPP gives (9% overhead):

KOTOR T742 NAKIT L615 ROTAR M167 CHI M859 LAGEN Q712 ENOBA Z185 BORDI N736 PIGOS/N0157F150 N86 LERMA A3 RUBIT G7 MTG Y25 FJR

AR gives (6% overhead):

KOTOR T742 NAKIT L615 ROTAR M167 CHI M859 LAGEN Q712 ENOBA Z185 BORDI N736 IVLAM DCT CGS DCT SOKDI DCT NASIK DCT TRETS DCT OXIDO DCT ADIVA DCT BADET DCT FJR

It’s even better on return flight – AR gives 4% overhead to direct while FPP again gives 9%.

Besides routing, is there any advantage RR provides comparing to AR? I used to used it on very few flights (2-3 years ago IIRC) and I’m not familiar with its recent options.

Last Edited by Emir at 05 May 10:42
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Do those few % make much of a difference in practical terms? I mean do the shortcuts that you get mean that such small differences can swing back and forth due to which route ended up getting better short cuts?

I’ve never really worked out the overhead on my VFR flights, but I’m assuming it’s a lot more than 9%.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Few percents probably don’t mean much but let’s say 10% on 600 NM flight plays some role. However, if we’re discussing “better routing” then 1% makes difference

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Could anybody point me towards an explanation of the leg colours in the Autorouter map? I have looked through the forum but found nothing.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

From memory and without guarantees:
Green: VFR parts
Magenta: IFR parts
Blue: SIDs/STARs

Does that make sense?

Rwy20 wrote:

Rwy20 23-May-16 05:13 #02
From memory and without guarantees:
Green: VFR parts
Magenta: IFR parts
Blue: SIDs/STARs

Does that make sense?

Thanks – That does make sense! Do you know what Magenta with Blue dashes mean? I remember somewhere there was a colour combination for UK standard routes?

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message