Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter issues and questions (merged)

The question was correctly addressed within 15 minutes, nothing really to add

It’s not obvious why a certain route is not found, the algorithm is programmed to find all possible solutions with the parameters given but it cannot say why it wasn’t able to find something. Over time, you will develop a feeling for what might be the reason, like boscomantico immediately realized that these parts of Switzerland have an extremely high MEA.

Hello again @achimha and welcome back (even if only briefly).

(Possibly OT) Although much of the “autorouter” talk currently goes over my head, I for one much enjoyed your informative postings and have missed your forum presence in more recent times…

UK, United Kingdom

Where is the +1 button when you need it? @achimha – please come back, I so very much appreciate (and miss!) your no-nonsense approach to all aviation relater things!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

or even a +2 button

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

tmo wrote:

@achimha – please come back, I so very much appreciate (and miss!) your no-nonsense approach to all aviation relater things!

Agree!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Well, that is good to know No special reason, had my mind focused on other things, felt that I had run out of topics and arguments.

Autorouter and filing: why is SID and STAR included in suggested route?

For instance. Autorouter suggests the route below from Malmö to Dubrovnik (Long flight at 128kt ;) )

IFR SID to IFR STAR:

ESMS N0127F120 SALLO3B SALLO M44 KOGIM M725 HDO M748 KOMUR Z164 VOZ M725 STO Z21 SASAL DCT VEBAL L196 KOMAR L187 EVTON Y128 TIKSA L607 NERRA NERRA7A LDDU

If the flight is a couple days ahead, known wind at departure and destination airport is uncertain. SID and STAR could change. In this example i could get SALLO2C or SALLO3B when departing.

Why is SALLO3B included in the suggested route to file? Or is it hard to file without it?

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 02 Sep 12:50
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas wrote:

Or is it hard to file without it?

It is not possible (at least as far as I know) to file an IFR plan without SID and STAR. One usually selects the one which coincides with the statistically most probable wind direction. In my part of the world that would be south-westerly and on 8 days out of 10 one will get the SID as filed in the plan.

EDDS - Stuttgart

If you omit the SID/STAR, Eurocontrol will automatically insert one (and don’t tell you which). It is Eurocontrol’s wish for flight plans to contain spelled out SID and STAR identifiers so we comply.

You can’t really know which one you’ll get and autorouter just picks the most optimal one (considering the optimization target). In the future, Eurocontrol plan to forecast the SID/STAR. Right now an easterly SID/STAR is as likely as a westerly even though the main wind direction in Central Europe is westerly.

Even when a shorter and more convenient approach/departure not involving a STAR/SID is available, autorouter presents the solution with SID/STAR as the top one because based on user feedback, this is what most people expect.

achimha wrote:

Eurocontrol will automatically insert one

I am not sure, I guess it´s country by country and this information is somewhere at eurocontrol´s computer. You need to have it for Germany but I am not aware of such requirement for the Czech Republic.

LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message