Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stylus for SD on iPad 4 Mini?

I’m happy to be proved wrong, but I don’t believe this is the case. As far as I know, the iPad Mini 4 does not have the physical hardware needed to support the pencil.

I have been looking through the documentation and can find no suggestion of Pencil support on older iPads in iOS 13. I see many references to Pencil support being improved on those devices that already support it, but not to it being available on the 4 Mini.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Sorry I might have given you false hopes, I can’t find it either, even though it was one of the things I thought I picked up from the WWDC keynote.

EGTF, LFTF

Is the Ipad Mini different in screen type to all the other touch screen tablets?

I use the “four for a quid” rubber-pad pens from amazon/ebay, but I can see they are not great for fast handwriting because the rubber “fingertip” will wear off.

A while ago I bought the Gosin pen which seemed to work ok but I can’t find it right now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wacom Bamboo Sketch Fine Tip Stylus gets the best reviews, but those aren’t throwaway prices and I’d like to try before I buy, but no-one (in Edinburgh, at least) stocks them.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I found that pen. It seems to work well although (predictably) I prefer a pencil and paper for fast writing of ATC instructions. For annotation of documents and such it is great, and quite precise. I have nothing similar to compare it with though.

It uses a single AAA battery. You turn it on/off by pressing on the LED on the side.

Timothy if you want to borrow it, give me an address to send it to.

Administrator

After trying on one, I can confirm the pencil (1st gen but almost certainly 2nd) does not work with the mini 4th gen

Peter wrote:

Timothy if you want to borrow it, give me an address to send it to.

That’s really kind, thank you; email sent.

Last Edited by Timothy at 24 Aug 22:00
EGKB Biggin Hill

I received the stylus from @Peter, but am really disappointed. I have tried it with half a dozen of the best rated note taking apps and they really are not capable of reliable taking of weather and clearances. The shape of characters change after you have written them, they stop working for a couple of seconds, things move around the page – all sorts of frustrations.

The pen that Peter send seems very nice, I like that it has a AAA battery, rather than messing around with recharging, and it sits in the hand nicely, but while the apps are awful (they are just as bad with a finger, it’s nothing to with the pen).

So, I fear that I’ll have to keep using a pad and pen (I really can’t see myself buying a new iPad, I have so many of them, for one reason or another.)

Unless anyone knows an app that does handwriting well on the iPad 4 Mini?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Might you be using a screen protector? I have found the glass ones to really degrade the “touch”.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message