Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bristol Radar ‘cancelling IFR plan’ without my request of approval

RobertL18C wrote:

It shouldn’t be – the correct phraseology would be ‘you are cleared to leave CAS via descent’ or if CAS is rising above your current level ‘in 5 miles you are leaving CAS where (either) my service terminates (or) you are on a traffic/basic service ‘.

They can’t terminate radar control inside CAS.

They actually often do there. I am frequently handed over while still 5 miles or so inside CAS. Usually in the decent. Including when Oxford only procedural which I agree shouldn’t happen.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Sep 11:11
EGTK Oxford

The really funny aspect of these threads is that those inside UK ATC (NATS mostly, if talking about CAS) and most of those in the CAA cannot see any problem!

So one is just banging one’s head against a brick wall.

If your IFR clearance has been binned and you call up London Info as requested, they will speak in a calm tone appropriate to a cardiac surgeon who is about to open you up for a heart transplant – they do this all day long – and assign you some squawk and instruct you to remain OCAS, and calmly pretend they cannot see you on radar.

Nobody there “gets it”.

Nobody there “gets it” at all.

Well, they can’t “get it” because that is how the system is rigged up, it was thus rigged before they got the job, and they need the money for food, the family, the 4×4...

It’s like the infringement debate. The NATS and CAA people just say “all infringements are equally serious and equally illegal”. They also don’t “get it” at all.

Maybe because almost everybody in the system is/was ex military? By definition, in the military as it was decades ago, anybody questioning anything is a weakling and unfit for active duty.

We may as well be debating whether the regulatory burden involved in running a private nuclear reactor in your back garden is excessive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are people in the UK flying IFR using VFR charts to know where controlled airspace starts and ends?

Last Edited by Dimme at 03 Sep 11:36
ESME, ESMS

Yes; this is a must, anywhere in Europe, unless flying wholly within CAS (e.g. a 747 going New York to Heathrow).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are people in the UK flying IFR using VFR charts to know where controlled airspace starts and ends?

Of course. Rather, a guestimated 90% are using Skydemon, the rest is using other apps, or maybe, in some cases, still the paper chart.

Due to the nature how OCAS IFR „works“, in fact, the chart that you are referring to is not at all labelled as a „VFR chart“. It‘s merely the UK CAA half mil chart.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Sep 11:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

this is a must, anywhere in Europe, unless flying wholly within CAS

Why?

Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message