Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dale Klapmeier - Founder of Cirrus - His personal story behind the company

As this is the definitive forum for Aviation in Europe I would like to share this interview I conducted with Dale recently for a show I am producing called AirTime.

The show’s purpose is to inspire a younger generation by showcasing the success of disruptive entrepreneurs (and the Klapmeier brothers are certainly that!). Most importantly we want to see the passion, vision and resilience that is needed to succeed. Dale’s episode certainly achieves that. We put a lot of effort into the production quality and the visuals from the plane, in the barn where it all started, EAA museum, the Cirrus factory and offices are fantastic…

There are two other episodes in Series 1 – @Alan Barratt as a Cirrus customer and the founder of the fastest growing sports nutrition bar in UK – Grenade! We also have a Silcon Valley entrepreneur funded by the Silcon Valley rock stars – Andreessen Horowitz (Facebook, Uber, Instagram etc.) – Michel Feaster of Usermind.

All these episodes are fascinating and all the entrepreneurs are excellent role models! I deliberately chose to do this in the context of Aviation as I think it best captures the spirit of ‘nothing is impossible’ with discipline, planning, passion, vision etc. All the things we pilots do every day.

In fact for those interested there is also an article the “Spirit of Aviation and the Spirit of Entrepreneurship” . I wrote about this connection and the link between innovation in business and CEOs that are pilots.

Please let me know what you think and if you like it, please share on your social channels. Finally I know this is an incredibly successful community in general. If any of you wish to share your story, please get in touch as we will be producing another season. Carpool Karaoke for Business and aviation. Except no singing!

Here is Dale’s interview, and from here you can also view the two other interviews if you are interested.

https://www.elixirr.com/airtime/dale-klapmeier/

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

That interview is quite brilliant. Open and honest. Good job.

ESMK, Sweden

Thanks Ame. Dale has such an interesting story to tell and we can all learn from it. Was just trying to find a really interesting way to tell the story so glad you enjoyed it,

As we are all aviators Dale’s story it is just so engaging. For him to share the backstories and open up his personal life as a child in the barn and how it shaped his whole life is truly inspirational. I loved the moment when his mother would not allow him or his brother Alan to fly the prototype that they had spent so much time building (only mothers!) and how this led to key relationships with a test pilot and disciplines that ultimately led to the success of Cirrus.

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

I liked it too. I wonder what the post-Dale era will bring.

EBST, Belgium

Watched it. Well done thank you for sharing!

always learning
LO__, Austria

So inspiring. Maybe if I has watched it younger, my life would have been different.
Amazing job. And Dale seems very humble.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote – that is exactly why we did this series! We want to inspire the young in a way that is engaging and interesting … oh and have fun doing it ;-)

Dale is an incredible guy. Down to earth and humble as you say.

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

From the first words out of his mouth and the phrase “lifestyle company” onward, I had to force myself to watch. There was very little in his world view or view of aviation that attracts me. YMMV.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Sep 17:47

I understand your POV Silvaire, but Cirrus’ marketing supports all GA, not only their own business. AFAIU, they changed the image of aviation among a lot of people in the US. They targeted rich people for obvious reasons, but it still helps.
It is great that GA is still considered as a business tool and a service to the local communities. In Europe, most people hide they have an aircraft.

LFOU, France

I’m all for ‘rich people’, its marketing to them or anybody else as though they were brainless that I find unappealing Most wealthy people who are also pilots are not in the least facile – I think that’s more a characteristic of non-pilot biz-jet people.

FWIW (probably not much), in my US flying exploits Cirrus aircraft are really not a feature. I don’t think they’ve enhanced the US image of GA for anybody except maybe those who have bought them. I rarely see one, or perhaps I just don’t notice them.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Sep 21:57
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message