Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical query re sense of smell?

A couple of years ago, a friend was asking me about doing a PPL but was concerned that he had little or no sense of smell and if that would be an issue?

I said to get in touch with my local AME, which he never did but he’s asking again now having never started his PPL. I don’t think it will be an issue insofar as a class 2 medical doesn’t require a sense of smell check and my gut feeling would be that its not a problem. However, whilst there are cockpit carbon monoxide detectors, i don’t think there is anything which could detect the smell of burning or avgas?

Any thoughts or ideas?

Obviously I am not a doctor but I know someone with this issue, and a huge factor is whether this is a recent development. If so, he needs to get a brain MRI ASAP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter, its not a recent issue – its always been that way as long as he can remember (even from his earliest childhood). He’s now in his mid 30’s.

Having no sense of smell is a good thing especially when flying in rental aircraft

I don’t think it will be an issue as it’s not covered by the aeromedical examination…

When questioned by authority never provide an answer to a question that hasn’t been asked.

Regulation wise this should not be a problem. As said above by Silvaire, I would not even bring it up during the medical.

Peter is also correct in saying that if anyone got this kind of problem suddenly/acutely, it’s a red flag and urgent medical help should be sought. Stroke or brain tumour are just two of the likely diagnoses in such a case.

Since this seems to be a decade old issue, it’s probably nothing life threatening and should prob99 be no issue as a pilot.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I know people who this could be really useful with, if they were passengers, or if flying almost any PA38

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

or if flying almost any PA38

Or PA28.

ESME, ESMS
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message