Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crowdfunding launched by German/Swiss AOPAs to help rescue a retired pilot from bankruptcy due to German customs decision

Frans wrote:

these young people, flying around the world. The video series where great, I loved to watch them, but they where sometimes quite unprepared and clueless, including some risky situations

Like carrying a 10k$ DSLR in an aircraft while overflying restricted area?
(I am sure young people will get away with this, they use live IPhone/Instagram and if they get arrested they have 10m followers to protest )

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Nov 10:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@MW

BTW, what happened with that crowdfunding project? 

If anyone wants more information: please contact Philippe Hauser from AOPA Switzerland on [email protected]

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I posted a Q here on how one could determine the German Customs interpretation of “brexit date”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Today, following video was recommended to me by the Google algorithm. I thought it would also be quite interesting for this topic. Its now proven that not only air traffic gets issues with German customs, also if you don’t cross the Swiss-German border via an official border crossing by car, you need to import your car as well. At least according to the initial opinion of the German customs.

The video explains the following situation: A German winemaker needs to drive 100 m on a small road through Swiss terriroty, on his way from/to his German vineyard. On a random day, the German customs stopped him for importing illegally his car into Germany on the parcticulair road, so he had to pay 494,40 euros as import fee for his old Volkswagen. German customs insisted on the fact that the winemaker acted with conditional Intent. In the end, after the efforts of German TV, the winemaker will get his money back.

Here the entire video in German:

Last Edited by Frans at 13 Mar 18:16
Switzerland

14k has been raised for this pilot – pretty amazing!

Administrator

I expected they would mange to raise a little more. But not bad.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What happened to the guy’s plane?

Did he pay the fine and recover the plane?

Administrator

I think it was a rental. I have not heard of anything, so I suspect nothing particular happened with it. Remember all this got going only way after he had returned to Switzerland. This was in 2015.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 May 12:12
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I think it was a rental.

Yes it was, Birrfeld I think.

Interesting that German TV intervened to help the wine-grower get his money back but didn’t do the same for the pilot…. anti-aviation bias?

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 May 22:26
LSZK, Switzerland

During Aero Friedrichshafen many people have walked between Kostanz and Kreuzlingen with a bunch of valuables in their backpacks without passing any official border crossing with customs. Is that illegal then? If not, how is it different from the cases described previously? If yes, why do they let it happen?

Last Edited by Dimme at 17 Oct 23:26
ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message