Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crowdfunding launched by German/Swiss AOPAs to help rescue a retired pilot from bankruptcy due to German customs decision

Actual legal framework as laid down by CE 2020 / 877:

“Article 141 of Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446 should also be amended to clarify that means of transport benefitting from total relief from import duty can be declared for temporary admission by the sole act of the goods crossing the frontier of the customs territory of the Union in any of the situations listed in point d) of paragraph 1 of that Article. The same applies for means of transport that are to be released for free circulation as returned goods according to Article 203 of the Code. Such clarification is needed for the sake of legal certainty.”

Whereby article 141 para 1 point d) says:

in Article 141(1), the following point (d) is added:

‘(d)

the sole act of the goods crossing the frontier of the customs territory of the Union in any of the following situations:

(i)

where an exemption from the obligation to convey goods to the appropriate place applies in accordance with the special rules referred to in Article 135(5) of the Code;

(ii)

where goods are deemed to be declared for re-export in accordance with Article 139(2) of this Regulation;

(iii)

where goods are deemed to be declared for export in accordance with Article 140(1) of this Regulation.’.

T28
Switzerland

Is this pilot going to get the money refunded?

@T28 is it possible to upload a scan of that letter, perhaps with your name obscured? It would be a very useful letter to carry around in the plane. I carry a similar thing from French Customs saying that cabotage will not be applied to N-regs flying within France (they hit a few planes with that years ago, interrogating the passengers to try to get them to say they paid for the flight).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know when the legal action was filed so cannot comment but art. 141 is in its current format (e.g. waiving the VAT & import duties obligation for personal means of transportation regardless of PoE) since April 5th 2016.

Due to a mistake, the existing provision (codified EEC 2454 / 93) was left out of 2015 / 446 so if the import took place before the correction was enabled, chances are the VAT was levied legally due to that omission (but I would challenge at the ECJ anyway).

Post April 2016 the relief from having to use a customs post is in force, and further clarified by 2020 / 877.

I don’t think a copy of the letter is needed, I carry a copy of the reg with the relevant passage highlighted (I reckon that has more force anyway than a random scan).

It’s a common misconception that private means of transport have to use an official crossing for non-commercial, holiday or private traffic – I can’t blame Malibuflyer, even the German customs had to be challenged a bit to come up with the proper response.

T28
Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

However, what is very dangerous in Switzerland is to drive an EU registered car or airplane as a Swiss resident, if the said airplane/car has not been imported properly into Switzerland, but is on a transit agreement.
Indeed, that is also the case when an EU resident would fly a Swiss registered airplane into the EU or would drive a Swiss registered car into the EU, without the presence of a Swiss resident inside the car. For cars, it is even forbidden inside the EU. For example: If you’re a resident of the Netherlands, it is forbidden to drive a German registered car inside the Netherlands, as the Dutch authorities will see this as tax evasion. If you want to use a German registered car inside the Netherlands as a Dutch resident, you need to import it first and pay the tax duties.
Last Edited by Frans at 29 Oct 11:48
Switzerland

If you want to use a German registered car inside the Netherlands as a Dutch resident, you need to import it first and pay the tax duties.

What happens if you rent a car in Germany and drive it over the border to NL?

I guess the rental companies have exemption agreements, like the Swiss ones reportedly have with German customs? So what you can’t do is borrow a car from your German brother.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Frans wrote:

If you’re a resident of the Netherlands, it is forbidden to drive a German registered car inside the Netherlands, as the Dutch authorities will see this as tax evasion. If you want to use a German registered car inside the Netherlands as a Dutch resident, you need to import it first and pay the tax duties.

Huh? Within the EU?

I wonder how rental car companies deal with this horror.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Huh? Within the EU?

Yes. Belgian/French/German police used to hassle cross-border commuter workers (working in Luxembourg) that had the use of a company (their employer) car as part of their compensation package. Obviously:

• The owner of the car (the employer) would necessarily register the car in its own country.
  • The private use part of the car was “benefit in kind” and its value taxed as salary.
  • The private use happened also/primarily in the country of residence of the employee.
    So the residence countries felt they were missing on “car registration tax” (both at initial registration and recurring) and such. Between Luxembourg and at least some of these countries, a mix of intergovernemental agreements and EU court of justice decisions led to the steam being let off on this issue. E.g. IIRC Belgium switched from a primarily “car registration tax at initial registration” system (which was partially struck down by the EU court of justice) to more fuel tax, or something like that.
ELLX

Regulated under 83 / 182 / EEC.

“the said means of transport is not disposed of or hired out in the Member State of temporary importation or lent to a resident of that State. However, private vehicles belonging to a car-hire firm having its head office in the Community may be re-hired to non-residents with a view to being re-exported, if they are in the country as a result of a hire contract which ended in that country. They may also be returned by an employee of the car-hire firm to the Member State where they were originally hired, even if such employee is resident in the Member State of temporary importation.”

T28
Switzerland

Interesting, thanks T28! That directive covers “importation” from one member state to another member state, not from e.g. Switzerland to the EU (most probably there is another directive that covers the temporary importation from outside the EU). This is article 3, and applies also to private airplanes. However, the clause about hire firms applies only to “private vehicles”, which is defined as road vehicles only.

ELLX
Sorry, I don´t see any tax issue relating to Netherlands-Germany border traffic. It is all an EU inside business, same with buying anything from Netherlands and sent to Germany. VAT is paid by the seller in his country and I don´t have to care about this. Was the same with UK while they were EU but this will change to pre EU hassles after Brexit , I remember it well from decades ago. Switzerland – EU is a completely different case, Serbia will be same troubles. My guess, when someone gets a car from outside Germany but EU, he will have to register it in Germany within 6 months here. But VAT is not applied as the car was EU before. And rental cars within EU should not be subject to tax business, no matter in what country you like to go. Just you deal with the renter how to return it at which place later. Vic
vic
EDME
Sign in to add your message